Fermentation/Krausen questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello, we brewed a stout about 3 days ago and used a pack of US-05 dry yeast. I didn't rehydrate it, we just went by the directions on the back of the yeast pack and sprinkled it on top of the wort. Fermentation signs started about 6 hours in and by 24 hours in we had bubbles every 3 seconds. It already seems to have peaked out though, now 48 hours in fermentation signs are slowing and the beer never formed any kind of a krausen layer on top of it. The fact that I never got krausen is the only thing that somewhat worries me.

Can the absence of krausen be attributed to poor brewing technique? I've never used US-05 before but from what I hear it provides a vigorous air lock blowing fermentation that Im just not seeing at all, are these symtoms I am seeing traceable back to a specific wrong doing? The only ingrediant that Im working with that I've never used before is milksugar(lactose). Thanks for any info, Im not really worried but I'm just trying to learn why I'm seeing different stuff than I'm used to.

Did you shake up your wort after you pitched your yeast? I have found it needs to be mixed up a little bit. Also, with powdered yeasts, I tend to boils some water, then let it cool to about 89-90 degrees and mix the yeast up in that, and then pour it into the wort.

didn't shake up the wort, the only aeration that use is a hard pour from the boil kettle to the carboy through a strainer. Shaking now 3 days in would be out of the question wouldn't it?

Actually, I don't know whether shaking it now would be bad or not. I've only shaken upon pitching the yeast and it's not been a problem. Anyone else know this?

Well I guess I'll just leave it alone, 24 hours showed bubbles every 3 seconds, now 48 hours is showing bubbles every 8 seconds, so its not like I don't have a decent fermentation going. I'm just used to seeing the peak of fermentation bubbling every 1 second with a nice thick krausen layer, not 3 seconds with no krausen. thanks

Back