Fermentation issue :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JahazielB

Reaction score
Hi everybody, in my second batch ever i brew a Foreign Extra Stout. 16 Liters with a OG of 1.075 aiming 1.018 of FG. I used 1 pack of dry yeast S-04.

5 days after pitching i took a gravity sample: 1.030
9 days after pitching i took another gravity sample: 1.030

My question is: I got a stuck fermentation or it's just slow?

Don't know if i pitched insufficient yeast or wrong yeast strain.
If that was the case, can i bottle it after the conditioning even though there is too may fermentable sugars left? accepting the sweetness.
Or what are your thoughts?

It might be "stuck." Or it might be done. Recipe details please... grain bill, mash temp & mash length (if applicable).

ETA: are you measuring gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

It might be "stuck." Or it might be done. Recipe details please... grain bill, mash temp & mash length (if applicable).

2row briess pale malt 4kg (67 % bill)
Caramel 90L briess 0.35 kg (6% bill)
Roasted barley Weyermann 1.35kg (22 % bill)
Black malt briess 0.25 kg (4% bill)

Mashed at 68.9º (156 F) for 60 min.

Are you measuring your gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer?

With those specs, BrewCipher predicts an apparent attenuation of 63.9%, and an FG of a hair over 1.027. Your 1.030 isn't too far off. I think it's safe to say this is not getting anywhere near 1.018. Where did the expectation of 1.018 come from?

Hi everybody, in my second batch ever i brew a Foreign Extra Stout. 16 Liters with a OG of 1.075 aiming 1.018 of FG. I used 1 pack of dry yeast S-04.

5 days after pitching i took a gravity sample: 1.030
9 days after pitching i took another gravity sample: 1.030

My question is: I got a stuck fermentation or it's just slow?

Don't know if i pitched insufficient yeast or wrong yeast strain.
If that was the case, can i bottle it after the conditioning even though there is too may fermentable sugars left? accepting the sweetness.
Or what are your thoughts?
Hi

I always use two pack of dry yeast when my O.G is above 1,060 to make sure I am not underpitching.

Cheers

Hydrometer with temp correction

That was my thought, but it seems you're already fine there...

I might be inclined to agree with @Norlz about pitching 2 packets, especially if your OG was 1.075. If that's not the issue then like @VikeMan mentioned it's possible the recipe is slightly differing from your expectation?

With those specs, BrewCipher predicts an apparent attenuation of 63.9%, and an FG of a hair over 1.027. Your 1.030 isn't too far off. I think it's safe to say this is not getting anywhere near 1.018. Where did the expectation of 1.018 come from?
On a spreadsheet, but yes, i think that could be the problem. Thanks man.

That was my thought, but it seems you're already fine there...

I might be inclined to agree with @Norlz about pitching 2 packets, especially if you're OG was 1.075. If that's not the issue then like @VikeMan mentioned it's possible the recipe is slightly differing from your expectation?
Yes, i think it was probably a combination of both.

Yes, i think it was probably a combination of both.

In my experience, under pitching doesn't cause under attenuation, unless the under pitch is severe. But it can certainly cause other issues. I wouldn't expect any major issues with a single pack of S04 in a 4 gallon batch of 1.075.

Latest posts

Back