Fermentation Issue! Please help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro33

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain oatmeal stout yesterday. Everything came out great going into the primary. OG is 1.041. I aerated the wort with oxygen and dumped in my yeast. I am using White Labs Burton Ale yeast (no started still working on getting the equipment). My temp was around 75 F when I put the yeast in. This was a 3 PM yesterday and I woke up this morning and still no action on the fermentation. My temp is is sitting around 70 to 72 F. :confused::confused:

If nothing starts by this evening I was wondering what to do. I have another vial of British Ale yeast from white labs but should I use this since it is different? I know it could be taking a little longer but I usually have seen something start by now.

This is about my 6th all grain batch. Been brewing partial and BIAB for over 2 years.

How old was th eyeast, you may have underpitched depending on viability. Also, is this a bucket? You could have a leaky seal and the gas is escaping from the seal, not the airlock. Also, active fermentation can take up to 72 hours depending on viability, aeration, etc. Did you check for krausen formation? Be patient and give it another day before you panic.

If you didn't make a starter, I would think that is perfectly normal. I always make starters, and even then, I occasionally don't see any signs of fermentation for about 40 hours (but I'm asleep for hours 32 - 40).
I hope you are prepared for a blow off. Once it gets going, WLP023 creates an amazing amount of krausen, and is the only yeast I use that regularly causes a blow off.

-a.

How old was th eyeast, you may have underpitched depending on viability. Also, is this a bucket? You could have a leaky seal and the gas is escaping from the seal, not the airlock. Also, active fermentation can take up to 72 hours depending on viability, aeration, etc. Did you check for krausen formation? Be patient and give it another day before you panic.

The yeast was only about 1 week old from purchase. The exp date was end of April. I have it in a carboy. I checked all my seal this morning. No krausen at this point. I will definitely give it another day. Just hasnt been my normal.

If you didn't make a starter, I would think that is perfectly normal. I always make starters, and even then, I occasionally don't see any signs of fermentation for about 40 hours (but I'm asleep for hours 32 - 40).
I hope you are prepared for a blow off. Once it gets going, WLP023 creates an amazing amount of krausen, and is the only yeast I use that regularly causes a blow off.

-a.

Yeah I have a blow off tube ready to go and on right now. Since I have been using more white labs I have switched to a blowoff setup. I will give it a little longer.

If nothing after another day whats my best option?

If nothing after tomorrow start getting worried and wait 1 more day.

You really should look into making starters. Your 1 week vial was probably at least 2 weeks old possibly older. I don't know off the top of my head what the time is between production date and best by date is but I 4 months sticks in my mind. If you make starters you know you are pitching ready, healthy yeast.

After about 72 hours I would pitch another vial.

The only issue is that I don't have another burton vial and won't be near the homebrew shop. Could I pitch the British ale I have from white labs what will 2 different yeasts do??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The only issue is that I don't have another burton vial and won't be near the homebrew shop. Could I pitch the British ale I have from white labs what will 2 different yeasts do?

If the Burton never starts up, then really you've only got one yeast in there after you add the second one. :)

Two different yeasts is totally fine, though. I agree with previous posters -- give it another day or two, make sure it's not fermenting, and then add a different yeast. Should be just fine.

This is perfectly normal, especially in the absence of a starter. RDWHAHB

If by Thursday evening there still isn't any activity, you may resume panicking. :)

If nothing after tomorrow start getting worried and wait 1 more day.

You really should look into making starters. Your 1 week vial was probably at least 2 weeks old possibly older. I don't know off the top of my head what the time is between production date and best by date is but I 4 months sticks in my mind. If you make starters you know you are pitching ready, healthy yeast.

After about 72 hours I would pitch another vial.

White Labs is four months. The date on the pack is the Best By date so you go back 4 months to figure the production date, meaning that the yeast was packaged in January, meaning it is already 3 months old, meaning the viability was close to 50%, meaning the beer was probably underpitched and needed a starter:)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394592630.489022.jpg

Started up this afternoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back