Fermentation isn't starting! :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I just tried to make a batch of rose from a kit I bought at wilkos, but its been 4 days since I pitched the yeast and the fermentation is not starting!!! I really have no idea why as the current temp is 27*C it should be going crazy! (kit says up to 30*C is ok)

The only 2 things that I can think of are that I didn't pitch the yeast right away because I had some weird gravity readings and left the made mixture waiting for the yeast about 14 hours while I decided what to do, although I did put a cap on the bottle so it wasnt open this time.

The other thing I was thinking is if the yeast could have died in the packet or something? I bought the kit about 3 months ago and it's been in my cupboard which I guess was around 25-35*C temp, is that even possible? My kit doesnt say anywhere that I have to store in a cold place or anything like this though.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong? I think my whole batch might be wasted :'( I added the yeast and yeast nutrient at 28*C batch temp about 4 days ago and no bubbles, nothing :(

I just tried to make a batch of rose from a kit I bought at wilkos, but its been 4 days since I pitched the yeast and the fermentation is not starting!!! I really have no idea why as the current temp is 27*C it should be going crazy! (kit says up to 30*C is ok)

The only 2 things that I can think of are that I didn't pitch the yeast right away because I had some weird gravity readings and left the made mixture waiting for the yeast about 14 hours while I decided what to do, although I did put a cap on the bottle so it wasnt open this time.

The other thing I was thinking is if the yeast could have died in the packet or something? I bought the kit about 3 months ago and it's been in my cupboard which I guess was around 25-35*C temp, is that even possible? My kit doesnt say anywhere that I have to store in a cold place or anything like this though.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong? I think my whole batch might be wasted :'( I added the yeast and yeast nutrient at 28*C batch temp about 4 days ago and no bubbles, nothing :(

Bubbles don't necessarily mean much. Do you have a hydrometer, so you can take a reading now?

Are you using buckets? I was using older buckets a couple weeks ago and never saw any bubbles. Take a flash light and shine it through the top of the bucket. You should be able to see a shadow from the krausen. That will put your mind at ease.

I assume you're using buckets? I was using older buckets a couple weeks ago and never saw any bubbles. Take a flash light and shine it through the top of the bucket. You should be able to see a shadow from the krausen. That will put your mind at ease.

But I almost never see a krausen with wine! Sometimes you get a few bubbles, almost like the wine is carbonated, but it's rare to see a krausen unless you've got a ton of fruit in there that foams up.

But I almost never see a krausen with wine! Sometimes you get a few bubbles, almost like the wine is carbonated, but it's rare to see a krausen unless you've got a ton of fruit in there that foams up.

Whoops. Completely ignored "wine making forum" on the apps' current list. Sorry Noz. At least I gave your question a couple bumps. ;)

Hmm, well apart from there not being any bubbles, I am using a balloon with pinholes as an air lock, which is not inflating at all. Last time I made wine my balloon inflated faster the holes could let air out and it literally exploded! This time, nothing :/

Hmm, well apart from there not being any bubbles, I am using a balloon with pinholes as an air lock, which is not inflating at all. Last time I made wine my balloon inflated faster the holes could let air out and it literally exploded! This time, nothing :/

Well, that wine was faster but that doesn't mean this one isn't going. A hydrometer reading is the only way to know for sure.

Back