Fermentation HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devoidelk

Reaction score
I have a batch of apple cider about to finish fermentation this Saturday. I want to make it a still cider using Campden Tablets of Potassium Metabisulfite. Well unforeseen finance problems have stopped me from ordering any. Is there anyway I can stop the fermentation without it to safely keep it from carbing up?

You can stovetop pasturize it. There is an AWSOME thread on hear about it, but I forgot what it's called. In short, bring a large pot of water up to 180* f and let ur bottles soak in it for ten min. It will kill the yeast, but not affect the flavor

Since it was going to be a still cider I was going to put it in 1 gallon milk jugs for easy storage. I wonder if the plastic would be able to stand that high of a temperature?

I have a batch of apple cider about to finish fermentation this Saturday. I want to make it a still cider using Campden Tablets of Potassium Metabisulfite. Well unforeseen finance problems have stopped me from ordering any. Is there anyway I can stop the fermentation without it to safely keep it from carbing up?

Are you trying to stop it short of fully fermenting? If not, wait until it's done and bottle without priming sugar. Otherwise, potassium sorbate will do the trick or you can halt things temporarily by cold crashing it until you can get some.

No I was fully fermenting it then back sweetening after but I do not want it to carb up.

Stove top is your only choice then

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Stove top is your only choice then

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Either that or spend the few bucks that some K-sorbate costs. Did you already back sweeten it? Is this already in bottles or what?

Either that or spend the few bucks that some K-sorbate costs. Did you already back sweeten it? Is this already in bottles or what?

No it has not been backsweetened or bottled at this point I'm looking ahead to this Saturday when fermentation has completed.

I think the milk jugs would handle the heat, but I'd do a test to make sure. When I harvest creek water, I always boil it then store in milk jugs. I pour the just finished boiling water right into the jugs without any problems or even warping/shrinking the plastic

I think the milk jugs would handle the heat, but I'd do a test to make sure. When I harvest creek water, I always boil it then store in milk jugs. I pour the just finished boiling water right into the jugs without any problems or even warping/shrinking the plastic

Did some research milk jugs are mostle HDPE plastic jugs which melt at the mid 200s so safe for almost any use we would need in homebrewing.

The exact text "The melting point of HDPE is in the mid 200 F range but the "extrusion" temperature range is 350 - 500 F."

got my info from http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-Blocks-out-of-HDPE-milk-jugs/

Back