Fermentation heater safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampbrewcrew

Reaction score
Last spring I bought a chest freezer and an inkbird controller. It is hooked up to a gfci outlet. This freezer is the best thing I've bought as far as beer quality is concerned. Our first "cold front" in Mississippi is coming this weekend and I have rigged up an incandescent bulb inside a terra cotta pot. I wrapped the open end in aluminum foil. I've had a house burn down on me before due to a misplaced roll of paper towels and a natural gas space heater, so I'm always pretty cautious. Does this seem dangerous?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476926556.745909.jpg

I personally don't like using a bulb for heat. What you have set up there is pretty low risk but I wouldn't do it. There are other options for a heat source. You can use ceramic reptile heaters, heating pads, and there are options marketed specifically for the homebrew market.

Now seriously how cold could it possibly get in Mississippi that your freezer would get too cold? There must be 2 inches of insulation there.

The low tomorrow night is supposed to be in the upper 40's. I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong, but I'm stocking up on emergency supplies just in case.

Leaving aside the kinda scary looking "heater", without an air mover inside that freezer you may not get the results you're hoping for...

Cheers!

I've been using a bulb inside a paint can for a couple years, works fine. Don't suspect your pot will cause any issues.

Back