Fermentation has not started in my Lager...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay075j

Reaction score
Alright, so I've learned a tremendous amount from reading the various posts here on HomeBreTalk.com, and now I'm in need of some help. This past Saturday, I brewed my first Lager after completing about a dozen batches of ales. I brewed the Foster's Clone from Clone Brews, and everything during my brew process went just great. The recipe calls for Wyeast 2007, but it did not say anything about the pitch rate. Although I did follow the suggestions from the Wyeast website for the proper pitch rate. Additionally, I hit my cooled wort with about 120 sec of oxygen through an SS stone. My lager is currently at 54 degrees which is the optimum fermentation temp listed in ProMash for my Wyeast 2007. Unfortunately, my schedule prohibited me from getting to my supplier sooner than the day before I brewed, so I did not have time to make a starter, so I made sure to get two packs of 2007. About 28 hours before I pitched my yeast, I broke the smack pack inside the Activator packs, but when it came time to pitch my two packs of yeast, they had not yet swelled. It has now been 72 hours, with no sign of any air lock activity.

My question is this: Did I do something wrong? Is this normal? At what point do I go get another pack of 2007, make a starter, and pitch that? Is it too late for that? when is it too late?

I am by NO means an expert, but. What were the dates on the yeast? Did you drastically put them at 54F, or did you do it gradually? I am not familiar with that yeast strain, but they say lager is pretty much a definite for a lager.

Good point about the dates, I did not check that before I pitched them. Although I do trust the guy that I buy my supplies from. He always checks that stuff.

As far as the temp goes, I left it in my basement for about 12 hours which kept it at 58 degrees, and then I put it in my fridge where my temp strip read 54 when I checked it the next day.

Pugilist said:
, but they say lager is pretty much a definite for a lager.

Nice typo, I meant a starter is a definite for a lager. I would be concerned that the yeast was shocked or not in good health when you received it. If you warmed it to room temp and smacked it waiting 28hrs, I would think it would be very swollen by pitching time.

I know alot of people say pitching more yeast is an option, or swirling (without aerating) the beer to rouse the yeast, but I wont recommend it as again I am not a lager expert.

thanks for clearing up that typo...I must have read that 10 times trying to figure out what the heck you meant by that!

So do you have any suggestions as to what I should do next?

A trick that works too is warming the beer up to room temp and keeping it there until you see the krausen starting to form. Then put it back into the cooler temps (letting it cool slowly) to let it ferment out. I would recommend trying that option, as I personally have had that work out well. Good luck !

Pugilist said:
A trick that works too is warming the beer up to room temp and keeping it there until you see the krausen starting to form. Then put it back into the cooler temps (letting it cool slowly) to let it ferment out. I would recommend trying that option, as I personally have had that work out well. Good luck !

+1. I have done this aso, and it has worked every time.

Room Temp is kind of subjective...What kind of room temp have you found that works best? I think my home thermostat is set at 70.

Back