Fermentation Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcwood

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a fermentation guide? I have seen the posters in my LHBS that list the yeast strain and the fermentation temp, but Im looking for something that lists the length of fermentation for different styles.
Sorry if this might have already been discussed, I couldnt find anything on it.

Length of fermentation? That's not really a property of the type of yeast so much as the gravity of the beer, the amount of yeast pitched, the temperature, etc. Just about any yeast I've ever used can be done fermenting in as few as 48 hours or take as long as a week (or more) to ferment under different conditions.

As for fermentation time, I don't think there is reliable data on the subject, because there are too many variables between brewers and recipes. your best bet is to start incorporating a fast fermentation test in to your brewing procedure.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Fast_Ferment_Test

you do this by removing a small sample (enough for a couple hydrometer tests) of wort +pitched yeast. And allow that to ferment out. Once this is done you will know what your expected FG will be for your beer, and the correct time to rack your beer off.

Back