Quantcast

Fermentation Fridge

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dhaas66

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Small Sanyo or Kenmore fridges for fermentation?

I am particularly looking for a carboy to fit.

Thanks...

ebeer

Reaction score
EDIT: My apologies...I moved from a bucket to a conical...didn't realize how big carboys are. If the dimensions for a carboy really are 15' x 15' x 30' then the Kenmore/Sanyo 4.9cuft is not an option.

Yep...easy enough..you just need to remove the plastic door liner.

Here's a shot of mine (though I ferment with a conical). Mine is the Kenmore model which has been discontinued recently. You might call around to local Sears and see if they have one on clearance.

OP
D

dhaas66

Reaction score
This will fit a 6 or 6.5 carboy with the door panel removed?

Do you have to concern yourself with heat?

ebeer

Reaction score
I just looked up the dimensions for a carboy, and it appears they are too big to fit in the Kenmore/Sanyo 4.9cuft model.....sorry about that. I moved straight from a bucket to my conical and have never used carboys (I have this strange magnetic draw toward glass chards, and can pretty much guarantee if I used them I'd become very close with a hand surgeon).

Buckets or a conical works just fine though.

WortMonger

United States Mashtronaut
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Amen about the glass bottles, I nearly lost two fingers over a procelin sink with one one night. Had to go have hand surgery 30 minutes later :(

ebeer

Reaction score
wortmonger said:
Amen about the glass bottles, I nearly lost two fingers over a procelin sink with one one night. Had to go have hand surgery 30 minutes later :(
OH MAN!!!!! That's horrible.

I know lot's of people ferment in carboys.....but I just FEAR THE GLASS...ok better stop I don't want to hijack this thread.

WortMonger

United States Mashtronaut
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can take any fridge and remove the door. Then make a larger "refridgerator cabinet" out of 2" pink styrofoam board to whatever size you need. Same temperature controller and everything just takes a little longer to get to temp the larger you go is all. Just my two-cents. :D