Fermentation Done Too Soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
We brewed our first batch (Irish Red Ale) on Thurs 11/7 and we have since discovered we made a few rookie mistakes. Our SG was 1.045 however here we are two weeks later and it's only 1.023. We also tested it one week ago and it was 1.023 too (FG is supposed to be between 1.010-1.012).

Looking back I think it's possible we pitched the yeast in wort that was too hot. We properly cooled the wort in the kettle down to 75 however I think the top off water we prepared and waiting for us in the ferm bucket was likely too hot. We had boiled the water and it to keep it sanitary we set the lid on top. Therefore the only place for steam to release was through the airlock hole. It sat that way for approximately 90 minutes covered (coming down from likely around 175 degrees or so) so I wouldn't be surprised if the temp of that water when we dumped in the wort was close to 100 if not hotter.

Needless to say what we got at perhaps close to 90 degrees was a VERY vigorous fermentation immediately. We had re-hydrated the yeast and it was raring to go. However we did only hydrate 1 small packet which now I realize we probably should have done two but we were only following the directions (another rookie mistake).

The ferm fired hardcore for approximately 48 hours then started to slow until there was down to approx 1 bubble per minute from approx 72 hours until the day we tested gravity (at 1.023 one week ago like I said above).

Bottom line, are we screwed? Is this bound to be our FG? It's been two weeks and we have consistent readings. Is there anything we can do?

Thanks for any help!

High FG could be due to a number of things. Since fermentation happened, I don't think its due to high temps killing the yeast, if that makes sense.

Maybe a little more info, specifically about your recipe and process, will help.

If it's an extract kit, they often have a lower FG than AG kits. Also, temperature can fluctuate SG measurements, so it's hard to say whether your first one was actually accurate or not.

Back