Fermentation: Done or not done ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PereFecto

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a wheat beer in a secondary carboy fermenter for nearly 3 weeks. It still have bubble coming from the the airlock, but the gravity doesnt move a lot. This is the first time Im measuring gravity, so I'm not use to it.

First gravity in the brewpot : 1.044

Gravity after 2 weeks in the carboy : 1.012

Gravity after almost 3 weeks in the carboy: 1.002

And still bubbling ! Should I wait before bottling ?

Many thanks

The final gravity should be when you see 3 or more days in a row w/o dropping the gravity. I.e. if you test again tomorrow and its 1.002 and again the next day and its 1.002 then you're done. BTW that seems like pretty hefty attenuation there. I've never had a beer finish lower than 1.008 myself, so wow! :)

also read the TONS of threads that say "airlock activity does NOT equal fermentation" Sometimes people don't seal the fermenter so it escapes out a side, and others see bubbles for a whiel after fermentation is done, this is just CO2 escaping and not a sign of fermentation. The hydrometer is your only way to know for sure if you're getting fermentation or not.

I just had a cascade pale ale with a 1.064 OG finish after 3 weeks with an FG of 1.001. I couldn't believe it so I checked it with 3 separate hydrometers and two different thermometers. All 3 read 1.001. I used rehydrated S05. What a beast of a yeast. I did a black IPA that same day that also had a 1.064 OG and it attenuated only down to 1.020. Same yeast but I did not rehydrate. The black IPA is tasty so I'm drinking it.

I just had a beer go from 1.05 to 1.004 with a reused WLP001 with a starter. It tastes good in the secondary, but I guess it's not exactly to style (I was going for a Pale Ale, and they are supposed to finish at 1.01). But if it tastes good, then no worries...

Did you calibrate your Hydrometer? Check it with distilled water to make sure it reads 1.000, if not adjust your readings. Always need to do this with first use.

Yeah I did it :) Thanks for the advice anyway. I did a mistake pompeiisneaks, my last reading is actually 1.008 :drunk:

So I will do has you said, and check again tomorrow !

Many thanks to everyone !

Is love this place, fast and efficient answers :tank:

Back