fermentation done in 24 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Napolil

Reaction score
first post, first brew; so be nice

i did this kit as my first go on Friday
Irish Red Ale w/ **Fermentis Safale US-05 11.5 gm dry yeast**

the fermenter has been at a pretty steady 73 degrees and within the first 24 hours, the air lock was working away like a champ (one bubble per second). then it went dormant. nothing.

i took a hydrometer reading last night and it was around 1.15. newb mistake on not taking a reading before initial seal-up.

so to my question: could it be that the fermentation is done already? instructions on the kit said to wait about two weeks! i tasted it, and it was sweet, couldn't taste any alcohol.

It's likely initial fermentation is done,& it's slowing down. It'll still take a couple weeks to get down to FG ,clean up by products of fermentation,& settle out more. Be patient,& it'll be rewarded.:mug:

Welcome to hbt.
If it were me, I'd get your fermenter colder (say, 65*) and let it sit for 2 more weeks. The yeast might have ate all the sugars but they still have work to do (conditioning the beer).
good luck.

i took a hydrometer reading last night and it was around 1.15. newb mistake on not taking a reading before initial seal-up..

Was your gravity reading 1.150 or 1.015??? If it was 1.150 that seems way too high for your kit, especially if it's already been fermenting..
If it was 1.015 then it sounds like it's already getting close to terminal gravity..

Looking at the MW Supply instruction it says starting gravity should be around

Iriish Red Alle
Recipe for 5 Gallons
SG: 1.042-1.046
FG: 1.010-1.012

So even though you forgot to take a starting gravity you're probably close to the numbers. Midwest extract kits always got me right where I should be. (assuming the volume that went into the fermenter was five gallons. More and gravity might be low, less than 5 it might be a little higher)

As the others have said, let it stay in the fermenter a few weeks and you should see the 1.010-1.012 final gravity

midfielder5 said:
Welcome to hbt.
If it were me, I'd get your fermenter colder (say, 65*) and let it sit for 2 more weeks. The yeast might have ate all the sugars but they still have work to do (conditioning the beer).
good luck.

Thanks for the patience support, all. I'll wait it out for the full two weeks.

I was tempted to cool it off too. Anyone else see a big benefit? Coincidentally 73 & 65 are just about my upstairs downstairs temperatures. So it's easy for me.

I agree with cooling down a bit. 65 sounds perfect to me. I say cool it down and wait a couple weeks, and IGNORE the air lock (except to make sure it still has the right amount of sanitized water in it)... Then take another gravity reading to see where it's at.

I assume you are using a bucket with a lid to ferment in. Sometimes the seal leaks; so when you are at the height of fermentation you will see activity in the airlock (a lot of gas coming out), but when it slows down, the gas leaks across the seal only.

You are probably not down in 24 hours, and there is still a few points to go.

Fermenting at high temperature speeds up fermentation, but also can produce some undesirable esters. Next time, check the yeast on-line and ferment closer to the lower end of the temp range for a particular yeast. 60s would have been better for this yeast. But ..... it's still beer, will still be drinkable, and that's all you need to keep going with the hobby.

Since you fermented hot, I would leave it where it is. Dropping temperature can cause yeast to drop, though that is not common for this yeast. The higher temperature will help finish off the ferment; a lot of times we try and increase the temp at the end of the ferment to finish off and clean up. The flavor profile is probably set since you are almost at FG, so leaving it will not affect the flavor.

Back