Fermentation cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chja

Reaction score
I am brewing a stout and an intense fermentation started 24 hours ago and when I got home the airlock had completely stopped, did it stall or is it actually done already?

Just leave it be for a few weeks... The airlock not moving, or being long enough between movements, is no indication that things are not still happening in the wort. Just means that the yeast isn't producing as much excess CO2 that needs to be vented out of the fermenter.

After a few more weeks, take a hydrometer sample, get the SG, and then taste the sample... Repeat 2-3 days later... IF it tastes great/ready then bottle/keg it up... If not, leave it be for another week or so, and test/taste again...

Also, is the wort still within the happy temperature range of the yeast?? If the temps dipped lower, they could just be taking a nap... Get them into a slightly warmer room and see how things go... Just move it gently.

Just remember... RDWHAHB... If this is your very first batch, then get something good to drink until you do have home brew... If you have the space, and primaries to do it, I'd brew another patch within 2 weeks of when you started your first one... Pick a different recipe and go to town... It's nice to have more than one recipe of home brew to drink at any point...

I have one pub ale that's about to chill a couple down of (almost at the 3 week mark in bottles) which is good since my previous batches (for regular drinkers) are almost gone. I have an old ale that's damned fine, and over 8% ABV (in the 8.25-8.5% area)... My first barley wine needs more time to bottle condition/age before I open another... I also have a honey cream ale being bottled this week (might get to it tomorrow) that was started on 2/26... Plus another brew started on 3/10 that's got another ~2 weeks left to go before it's slated for bottles.

Best way to think of it... 6+ weeks from grain to glass (or boil to glass if you're brewing extract batches)... That includes time to carbonate in the bottles (~3 weeks at 70F is a good start)... Bigger brews will benefit from more time before you drink them. I prefer to give them more time in bulk form, rather than being teased by bottles. To me, it's easier to ignore the primary in the corner of the kitchen, then the boxes of bottles carbonating/conditioning in the living room. :D

The hardest part of home brewing should be deciding what to brew next... :rockin:

Thanks for the info. You brew alot. I only have enough for 2 batches and I'm thinking a lot about my next ones already!

Back