Fermentation cycle for a Belgian Triple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkenCanuck

Reaction score
How long on average would one ferment a Belgian Triple recipe in primary and secondary? Some initial reads say a minimum 3 weeks for primary, and the longer the better the beer is. How long would one secondary it for?

The Belgian Triple needs as long as it takes. You as a brewer control the wort but the yeast control the fermentation and they don't have calendars. One batch might be done in a week, the next exact same might need 4 weeks. None of them need secondary. You can leave that beer in primary for 3 to 6 months if you want. The extra time will let more yeast settle out and it might need yeast added to carbonate in bottles if left too long. From my limited experience, 3 months isn't too long.:)

Along with the time in the fermenter, you may also want to look at different fermentation temp profiles, especially with a Belgian. Example: fermenting for a few days at 66F and then ramping up to 76F for a while will give you a different flavor than fermenting at 64F for the full time. That's one of the fun things with Belgians. Do some research and see what flavors you want in your beer. You could even do a split fermentation and note the differences. Either way, I agree with all the other responses. It's done when it's done and you don't need secondary.

Along with the time in the fermenter, you may also want to look at different fermentation temp profiles, especially with a Belgian. Example: fermenting for a few days at 66F and then ramping up to 76F for a while will give you a different flavor than fermenting at 64F for the full time. That's one of the fun things with Belgians. Do some research and see what flavors you want in your beer. You could even do a split fermentation and note the differences. Either way, I agree with all the other responses. It's done when it's done and you don't need secondary.

Thanks. The supplier I got my ingredients from suggested doing a secondary, but if it isn't necessary then great! :tank:

Back