Fermentation Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escalante88

Reaction score
I recently completed construction of my fermentation cooler (well it was a month ago) per "Jim's minimalist fermentation cooler" specifications, but used 2" styrofoam insulation. I used skewers to reinforce adjacent panes, caulking all the inside and outside seams with heat resistant silicone, as the dude suggested. I haven't tested its cold capacity yet, or how well it can hold a temp, but intend to soon. Judging from how long it can keep a frozen nalgene frozen, it serves its purpose.

If anyone is interested or has questions let me know!

IMG_0274.jpg

Looks awesome! I need to get around to making a fermentation chiller one of these days. It's been on the list for a long time!

I use a swamp cooler now but a chiller is even nicer.

I need to set mine up in the new house. I find ways to pipe the a/c vents into the chamber. now that i have a basement i'm gonna run some dryer duct down from the ceiling register into the top of the pink insulation chamber.

old house I did this from the floor register and could hold low 60's in the middle of 100 degree heat outside.

Malkore that's an interesting idea. What length of dryer duct are we talking about - I would imagine it's pretty close as most dryer ducts are no longer than six feet or so...

Did you just jam into the register and tape it to seal?

well at my old house it was a floor vent so I just put my ferm chamber over 2/3's of the vent.

since the new house has ceiling register, I plan to use the white plastic venting rather than the metal stuff, and I'll probably rig some kind of hooks out of paperclips so i can hang it from the vent fins and the coiled wire inside the dryer hose...straight shot down to the ferm chamber below.

yeah they are usually about 6 foot long so I hope one is enough.

i doubt i'll tape anything too tightly around the a/c vent since cold air wants to fall down and it'll be a straight chute down, and I will seal up the ferm chamber a bit to hold in the cold.

Latest posts

Back