Fermentation Chiller modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester4176

Reaction score
I linked to this site from somewhere on the boards, and fould the instructions for a fermentation chiller.
http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/FermentationChiller.html

Already have everything to build it minus the insulation laying around the garage. Then I got to thinking, which I usually do after I've downed a few brews. I dont have the room for an additional fridge, but there's just enough room in a spare closet for one of these chillers. I also have a cube sized mini-dorm fridge that I have in the garage for beer. I know nothing about refridgeration, which is why I'm throwing this out here.

Could I possibly remove the door off the fridge, and cut a hole in the insulation to accomodate the mini-fridge, then seal it tightly with silver ductwork tape for an airtight seal? The cooling compartment will be larger, and since the fridge may want to run constantly, I could use an external thermostat controller to cut the fridge off at a certain temp, and cut on again when it warms up.

Just thinking this may be a cheap alternative to arguing the wife for a lager fridge after already losing the battle for a kegerator. Anyone think this may work, or is it doomed to failure?

I'd focus your efforts on the kegerator. Fermentation temps at a fine-grained level aren't really all that important. I make almost no effort to control mine and I make great beer.

Having cold beer on tap is another thing entirely. It'll change your life! :D

Sorry, I have no idea if your idea would work, but as I said, you may end up not using it because in general, if the beer is fermenting in an environment that you are comfortable in yourself, it'll do just fine.

Cheers :D

I'm undecided. Last summer, the fermenter in the garage blew off at 85 degrees. This winter, things are slower in my bedroom, about 66 degrees, or 71 with heat from fermentation. So I'm thinking of some small reefer type thing. Like hacking apart a water cooler for the refrigeration system, then building a fermenter sized foam box.... I do like "real ale" temps rather than ice cold, so some kind of minimal cooling would suffice. Finding a used reefer would be easier... I'm still undecided.

Jester,

Since you live in TX, I'd opt for investing in something to control your fermentation temps. Even if you don't do lagers it will help your energy bill if you don't have to set your whole house to a good fermentation temp for a clean ale.

Could you post drawings of what you intend to do with the fride. I'd hate to see you destroy the fride, just to find out that you wan't to use it for something else later.

Kai

King Kai said:
Jester,

Since you live in TX, I'd opt for investing in something to control your fermentation temps. Even if you don't do lagers it will help your energy bill if you don't have to set your whole house to a good fermentation temp for a clean ale.

Could you post drawings of what you intend to do with the fride. I'd hate to see you destroy the fride, just to find out that you wan't to use it for something else later.

Kai

Ok, if I destroy the mini fridge, not a big deal. I'll go spend $40 at wal mart on another one. So basically I'm thinking take my fridge, which is like this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat05005&id=1124431845071
and take the door off so that it will be flush on the front. Then, cut out a section of the chiller I linked earlier and shown in this picture http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/FC Support (3).JPG
The back wall of the water jug area can be cut out, and the ffront of the fridge can slide into it, so cold air from the mini fridge will cool the chamber. The chamber to be cooled would probably be 4-5 times the normal size of the fridge. But because the fridge would not need to keep the area at 40 degrees, I'm thinking the little compressor could handle it.

I'll try and draw something up tonight, but for a rough idea, look here: http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/FC Interior.JPG and imagine a mini fridge sticking out the back of it.

Jester, there's a guy in Missouri City (billism) that's working on something similiar...see this thread. I think you and he should come over to my house and build me a beer cave. ;)

Back