Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acafro

Reaction score
Well I've been out of work for a couple weeks and had some extra cash... boredom has set in and someone is less than impressed I keep using the spare bedroom to ferment.... So, I decided to build myself a fermentation chamber. Here are some pictures so far. I used 2x2s to frame out the skeleton, put in plywood floors, Installed some single gang outlet boxes for the heater and cooling unit, I am planing on wiring up an STC-1000 digital temperature controller I picked up on Ebay for $21. I finished the chamber itself - total cost $160 (without wiring and insulation). planning on wiring and insulating it tomorrow! since I made it bigger than I first thought I may attempt to partition it off and have two sides that are temperature controlled. any thoughts?

IMG_20140112_142744_667.jpg

IMG_20140112_150839_457.jpg

IMG_20140112_173518_191.jpg

IMG_20140112_173934_816.jpg

I just worry the 2x2 frame won't be strong enough to hold full carboys/buckets. It looks like it is big enough to hold 2 carboys/buckets on both shelves (maybe I'm wrong?). So that's 10 gallons of precious beer being supported by some pretty thin lumber and no cross bracing. That's a lot of weight

Other than that, nice build overall

There is some cross bracing under the floors that you can't see, I had the same thought so I reinforced two floors quite a bit after the pictures, it held my weight without issue.. but it could probably hold 4 or 5 carboys.... so I'll have to do some weight testing before I load it up... thanks for the thought!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

some more progress today, got all the wiring done, and everything is functioning as expected. here are a few pictures of the wiring process and I have also included the STC-1000 wiring diagram I created and used for this project.

Roughed in wiring

IMG_20140113_134526_472.jpg

IMG_20140113_150351_454.jpg

The STC-1000 diagram on the unit itself doesn't specify the exact wiring of the power in... Hot goes on the left terminal... Common goes on the right terminal...

IMG_20140113_150331_536.jpg

Operational! no I'm not keeping it at 9 degrees C

IMG_20140113_152603_003.jpg

Added a light on a switch for good measure... and just because I could...

IMG_20140113_153029_864.jpg

I did cut some vent holes in the upper floor, forgot to take pictures of those though....

All buttoned up

IMG_20140113_153048_040.jpg

STC-1000 wiring diagram heating / cooling

STC-1000 wiring diagram.jpg

Kind of feel obligated to add this disclaimer... IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WORKING WITH ELECTRICITY SEEK PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE DO NOT RELY ON THIS DIAGRAM ALONE!!!!!!

I was able to get the fermenting wine and beer out of the guest bedroom for now... the chamber is working perfectly!... now just need to do some insulating to keep the heater from running every 90 seconds!

I just worry the 2x2 frame won't be strong enough to hold full carboys/buckets. It looks like it is big enough to hold 2 carboys/buckets on both shelves (maybe I'm wrong?). So that's 10 gallons of precious beer being supported by some pretty thin lumber and no cross bracing. That's a lot of weight

Other than that, nice build overall

Did some weight testing today... other than me doing pull ups and sitting on it... I put 250 lbs of weight in the top shelf for a few hours and nothing budged... glad you mentioned something... I would have hated to loose ANY beer let alone 5 or 10+ gallons...

What is your cooling unit?

I am planning on using a small window A/C unit, no need for it this moment... the basement averages 50 degrees.

I'm still doing some research of how to bypass the thermometer so I can get get temperatures bellow 60 degrees. I am going to install the AC on the side of the chamber when all is said and done. But I want to modify the AC first.

Why the need to get the temperature below 60 degrees? Is it so you can lager in it? My understanding is that for ales, you don't need to go below 60. I had thought about building out something like this as well, One of the concerns would be for even heat and cooling distribution inside the chamber.If you have the air too close to one of the buckets/carboys, that batch will have a more drastic heating or cooling change compared to the other batches. I was thinking that the cooling unit or heater should be either on top of or below the buckets, to allow the chamber to heat or cool uniformly. I'm not worried about putting the AC unit in the bottom, because even though cool air drops, it can't drop below the floor of your chamber, and hence, the entire chamber would get to the right temperature. The other issue you may have is where to stick your temperature probe. Some brewers advocate using a thermowell to get the probe into the wort. Others tape it to the side of a bucket or carboy. If you leave it in the "air", you need to make sure that the sensor is not too close to either the hot air coming out of your heater or the cool air coming out of your AC unit.

These are things I was struggling with when thinking about building a chamber like yours. I may just end up getting a used chest freezer on CL, and adding only a heater to it. Right now, I have a space heater inside of my extra fridge, and the heater is on the top shelf. My brews turn out well this way.

Nice project. Hey, quick question - the STC-1000 is only Centigrade, correct? Any body know of a device like that that shows Fahrenheit? I'm using an enclosed two-stage controller, so I can't build it into the frame like you are doing.

My heat goes in the bottom and there is vent holes cut in the floor, the top chamber seems to heat fairly evenly even without the insulation right now. I wanted the heat in the bottom exactly for that reason. The AC unit I have been pondering and I am beginning to think it may be easier and cool more evenly if its in the bottom. I may have to use a few fans to circulate air. We shall see when summer comes. But to answer the other question i would like to be able to lager in it and also use it for cold crashing.

The STC-1000 on comes in Centigrade I have a unit converter and a chart so it really isn't that obnoxious for the price... I did see a few PID units that did both C and F and just F but they were well over the 21 dollar mark.

[...]Hey, quick question - the STC-1000 is only Centigrade, correct? Any body know of a device like that that shows Fahrenheit? I'm using an enclosed two-stage controller, so I can't build it into the frame like you are doing.

The STC-1000 is only available in centigrade.
The only dual stage 110VAC controller I've found in fahrenheit is the Love TSS2-2100. It has a similar, compact form factor to the STC-1K and many other controllers. I use one to control my ferm fridge, works great. It has one of the best probes I've ever seen on any controller...

Cheers!

Nice build!
Were it me, ( and it ain't !), I would put some diagonal bracing across the back and sides, so that your cabinet will have no tendency to "rack" on you.

Looks like you are comfortable with the weight capacity, just wouldn't want to see it get bumped whilst loaded down, and have it try to lean on ya'!

Nice build!
Were it me, ( and it ain't !), I would put some diagonal bracing across the back and sides, so that your cabinet will have no tendency to "rack" on you.

Looks like you are comfortable with the weight capacity, just wouldn't want to see it get bumped whilst loaded down, and have it try to lean on ya'!

Funny you should mention that I actually just put two in the back side...

Well the fermentation chamber build has come to an end, just finished adding the last few touches! Put some bracing on the back side and finished the insulation,

NOW I GOTTA GET SOME BEER IN IT!:beer:

1389742017738.jpg

1389742033498.jpg

acafro said:
Did some weight testing today... other than me doing pull ups and sitting on it... I put 250 lbs of weight in the top shelf for a few hours and nothing budged... glad you mentioned something... I would have hated to loose ANY beer let alone 5 or 10+ gallons...

Awesome. I would've hated to see you load it up with sweet sweet brew and have it all come crashing down. Really nice job on the build. I'm definitely a little jealous as I can only fit one fermenter in my chamber at the moment.

Back