Fermentation chamber size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I was debating buying a chest freezer to store 2 carboys at once for fermentation temp control when the wife asked if getting two small freezers would be better. I'm on the fence now. Having two small ones would allow me to have each batch controlled no matter what the situation but it would take up more room and cost more. I currently do 5g batches but I might jump to 10g. If I do jump to 10g I will definitely need the room for two carboys at the same time. Any thoughts or advice on the idea?

A single freezer would be cheaper to buy and set up with temperature control, and it would use less energy (assuming you're running two batches at the same time).

Two smaller freezers would give you flexibility with two different brewing techniques at the same time. You could do an ale in one and a lager in the other, use one for fermenting and the other for cold crashing, ferment a high-temp saison in one and an ale or a lager in the other, etc. You may also save energy (probably marginally at this level) any time you were only fermenting one beer at a time.

If you do go with two small chambers, make sure they can get down to lower temperatures: my ferm chamber right now is a mini wine fridge that only goes as low as 12C, which is too warm for lagering or very effective cold crashing. Personally, I'm hoping to get a bigger fermentation/bottle conditioning fridge in the near future, in which case the wine fridge would serve for bottle overflow or possibly the occasional saison if I ever get around to making one.

I should say I do have a chest freezer for serving that holds 4 kegs with the collar I built. That might be why the idea of 2 more sounds a bit crazy to me. I need to hit Lowe's and test my carboys in a few chest freezers to see what size would work.

Two smaller chest freezers sounds like an interesting idea. I think most people just have one chamber for fermenting and then another one if they keg. With two smaller ones you would probably need two temperature controllers and the extra space.

If you have the space and feel like you would make ales and lagers at the same time, then two might be the best option for you. Good luck!

Perhaps you should look at building a side by side. Kind of like what I have. I can fit around 6 carboys in there and I don't have to kill my back with lifting.

I did think of something besides a chest freezer but my searches for something that fits and doesn't require rework all fall short. The nice thing about the chest freezer is all I need is the controller and I'm done.

Back