Fermentation chamber heating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceBrews

Reaction score
Hello!

I use a chest freezer that is connected to an inkbird as my fermentation chamber and I'm looking to add a heating source to it. Today I bought a small electrical heater, but the safety is over sensitive and turns it off after just two-three minutes inside the chamber because of over heating. I need to be able to reach temps around 80F, perferably even higher. I've been looking at a 25w heat pad from mangrove jacks, but i'm worried it won't heat it to high enough temps.

So what kind of solutions have you used? I'm brewing a belgian style beer next week, so that's why I need higher temps.

Cheers!

What turns off? The safety or the heater's internal thermostat? What wattage is it?
If the latter, that's totally fine and expected. It will come back on when the chamber has "used up" the excess heat.

What turns off? The safety or the heater's internal thermostat? What wattage is it?
If the latter, that's totally fine and expected. It will come back on when the chamber has "used up" the excess heat.

My space heater turns off, well it's on, but the heating and the fan are not working and after maybe 30min it turns on again for a few minutes. I have gotten the temperature to rise for a beer im fermenting atm from 64 to 68 in about 6-8h, so it works but i'm not so happy with this solution.
I have used it in my room and it works fine, but inside a chamber the heat is too much for it, so I guess it's a safety that turns it off. The heater is 350w and you are supposed to be able to adjust the temperature, but it's one of the cheap ones and it just does'nt seem to work.

My space heater turns off, well it's on, but the heating and the fan are not working and after maybe 30min it turns on again for a few minutes. I have gotten the temperature to rise for a beer im fermenting atm from 64 to 68 in about 6-8h, so it works but i'm not so happy with this solution.
I have used it in my room and it works fine, but inside a chamber the heat is too much for it, so I guess it's a safety that turns it off. The heater is 350w and you are supposed to be able to adjust the temperature, but it's one of the cheap ones and it just does'nt seem to work.
Yup, that may well be the overheating protection.

25W seems a bit small, indeed. Is this inside a fridge?

Hopefully someone can chime in on what's best to use. There are threads/posts around on this topic. Have you done a search or looked around?
In Google, to restrict searching this site only:
site:homebrewtalk.com your_query

I use a Fermwrap taped to the back wall of my full size refrigerator ferm chamber, and it's plenty. 40W, run about $30 from the online homebrew retailers.

Yup, that may well be the overheating protection.

25W seems a bit small, indeed. Is this inside a fridge?

Hopefully someone can chime in on what's best to use. There are threads/posts around on this topic. Have you done a search or looked around?
In Google, to restrict searching this site only:
site:homebrewtalk.com your_query

No it's a medium sized chest freezer. I have been reading threads, but I just wanted opinions on the 25w pad and i guess it's a bit small. I read some information from reviews and seems that it's not intended to heat it up so much. But i guess i'm going to run with this system, it produces fair amount of heat, it only takes some time to use the heat up, but i dont think i need to heat it up much faster.

I use a Fermwrap taped to the back wall of my full size refrigerator ferm chamber, and it's plenty. 40W, run about $30 from the online homebrew retailers.
Where I live we only have few hombrew shops in the country and they only have the 25w one, 40w sounds good though.

I use a low war seed hearing map connected to the ink bird. Works great when my garage gets cold a couple months of the year.

Another very clever idea I've seen is an incandescent bulb in a 12" or so length of galvanized dryer vent pipe hung vertically in the chamber. The idea is that having the bulb in the vent pipe creates convection as well as providing radiant heat. And you can change the wattage of the bulb as needed. If I'd heard of this idea earlier I might well have tried it.

Another very clever idea I've seen is an incandescent bulb in a 12" or so length of galvanized dryer vent pipe hung vertically in the chamber. The idea is that having the bulb in the vent pipe creates convection as well as providing radiant heat. And you can change the wattage of the bulb as needed. If I'd heard of this idea earlier I might well have tried it.
Or a light bulb mounted in a paint can. I guess a ceramic socket is needed. No convection, though, but light tight.
Or a ceramic reptile cage heater, an opaque heat transmitter that screws into a light bulb socket.

Any of these can get hot enough to melt plastic, so watch out.

I've wrapped a heating pad or small heating blanket around fermenters to do Saisons. They get to 85F easily. I guess the fermwrap is based on that.

I use this. It's overkill for my needs since I usually ferment in the high 60s, but it should be plenty powerful for your needs. And it's easily returnable if it doesn't work for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-P...W-Indoor-Black-MH-08B/568328897?selected=true
I now use a space heater with a fan, similar but larger than yours. It's set to half power and to turn itself off around 80-85F (trial and error with the dial). But the STC-1000 really controls the temp. It keeps my "warm fridge" warm.

Fwiw, I use a 40w ceramic "reptile" bulb in my two 17cf ferm fridges located in my generally unheated brew space and that's plenty of heat. They screw into cheap ceramic bases and I mounted small 12vdc fans blowing on the bulbs...

Cheers!

That’s what I use. I have a 25W bulb which is adequate for the styles I brew; I don’t need to go over 70° or so. A larger bulb, maybe 40W, would probably get the temps up to 80°.

The 25W bulb will raise the beer temp from the low 60s to the high 60s in 5-6 hours (5 gal batch size).

82121F5D-E0D9-449D-BDFD-914FA5736B8E.jpeg

I have a seed heating mat that I stuck to the wall of freezer with magnetic strips. It works great, and it is waterproof.

Fwiw, I use a 40w ceramic "reptile" bulb in my two 17cf ferm fridges located in my generally unheated brew space and that's plenty of heat. They screw into cheap ceramic bases and I mounted small 12vdc fans blowing on the bulbs...

Cheers!

^^^^THIS! After a fire in my first ferm chamber 7-8 years ago using a small heater and fan I went to a much larger chamber and using a ceramic reptile bulb. No issues with maintaining temp or concerns about light strike affecting my beers.

I like fermwrap around fermenter, then insulated. Then I'm not wasting electricity by heating the whole freezer.
Ferm wrap Around the carboy works great and is what I use. A reptile heating /seed germination mats are probably the same thing... And waterproof.

Those little portable heaters work... But they are way too powerful for such a small space. I'm sure a light bulb in a paint can would work too... But I just don't see the point when there are. the cheap and safer alternatives above.

Another ceramic reptile bulb here...25 watts... I mount it in one of those ceramic bases, then use a duct and computer fan to circulate the heat in my freezer. Was able to maintain 95F for brewing a kveik in unseated garage probably in high 40s to low 50s avg ambient temp. Doesn’t take many watts in well insulated chamber.

I'm also looking for options. Not overly comfortable with putting these super-hot ceramic bulbs in my fridge - I prefer technology that does not even have the power or potential to burn my flat down, in case some components (such as my inkbird) fail.

I have a seed heating mat that I stuck to the wall of freezer with magnetic strips. It works great, and it is waterproof.

I was looking for something waterproof (want to ferment other foods as well, some of which require increased humidity) for a while, without any luck. Can you share a link?

I would be terrified of putting a space heater inside a fridge or freezer.

Previously I had been using a 60W incandescent light bulb placed in a metal bucket, which worked just fine.

I just started using a 50W ceramic reptile heater thingy. I "suspend" it in mid-air inside the fridge using a zip tie, so there is no worry of it touching plastic or puddles of moisture. Works great. Fridges and freezers have a lot of insulation so as long as you don't keep opening the door, you don't need much heat to maintain reasonable fermentation temperatures.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    365.3 KB · Views: 136
On my small fermenter, which happens to be a FastFerment, I use a heating pad designed for seedlings. The shape is odd, but I fit it around the midsection and cram the temp probe in the thermowell. Duct tape holds it in place. It worked spectacularly well and maintained a temp within a degree. These come in various sizes, so pick one that will work best with your fermenter.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J56XYN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also looking for options. Not overly comfortable with putting these super-hot ceramic bulbs in my fridge - I prefer technology that does not even have the power or potential to burn my flat down, in case some components (such as my inkbird) fail.

I was looking for something waterproof (want to ferment other foods as well, some of which require increased humidity) for a while, without any luck. Can you share a link?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3qZogNBxPNYsIrTQvUtAtO

20200204_171200.jpeg

Taped 25W fermwrap to back of my side by side fridge area...
Works well to maintain low to mid 60s even in cooler temps in my uninsulated garage, but since the side by side has louver/damper between the freezer and fridge it's hard to get a high Delta between the freezer (41F to serve kegs) and the fridge.
That being said, I wouldn't doubt my fridge could get up to 80F or so during the summer...
Has never even gotten hot enough to melt the duct tape "glue" so it's nowhere near hot enough to start a fire.

I just started using a 50W ceramic reptile heater thingy. I "suspend" it in mid-air inside the fridge using a zip tie, so there is no worry of it touching plastic or puddles of moisture. Works great. Fridges and freezers have a lot of insulation so as long as you don't keep opening the door, you don't need much heat to maintain reasonable fermentation temperatures.

I am not sure why I did not think about one of those caged work lights. I have been thinking of moving to the reptile light solution, but did not just want a bulb dangling in the chamber. I often have two fermenters going, so I need a solution that will heat them both.

Right now I have this small ceramic heater. It has been working for the most part, but a couple times it has gotten warm enough in the chamber that it triggers the overheat sensor on the heater (like the OP), and I have to unplug it for a few minutes to reset. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-Mini-Ceramic-Heater-MH-01-White/884766341?selected=true

i just duct tape a heat pad to the side of my plastic bucket, i did have to take it apart, and solder the junction for it to stay on longer though.....

I just have a heat lamp clamped to the rail in my ferment fridge, and a dedicated old black t-shirt to cover the fermenter to avoid light-struck beer. My controller is the Bayite one and works well. The lamp is plenty far away from anything that could melt/catch fire. Never had an issue (unless you count the two bulbs I shattered when I wasn't paying attention and bumped them while moving the fermenter). Keeps a nice steady temperature in there.

fwiw, the fan-driven heaters I threw together for my two chambers...

View attachment 665741

There are additional holes through both platforms at the back ends...

View attachment 665735

View attachment 665736

View attachment 665739

View attachment 665740

Cheers!

My solution is pretty similar...

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0365.JPG

I put a little always on computer fan on top of that piece of ducting. Constantly keeping air moving past that 60w reptile bulb whether it’s on or off. I decided some time ago that constant air circulation is key to making fermentation chamber work. The conical actually works better in a chamber than any other fermenter I’ve used, all that exposed stainless makes great heat transfer conduit to the chamber air. Just need to keep the air moving a little bit.

fwiw, the fan-driven heaters I threw together for my two chambers...

Very slick, nice work.

I see you're using a pocket hole jig for easy and strong joinery. Great choice, I use mine for almost everything. Everybody should have one; it makes little hobby projects so straightforward and headache-free.

Those are probably fine, but it will be overkill. I worry about the humidity as well.

I have warmed 10 gallons in my conical to 75 with the ambient temp @40 without issue and my seed pad is 45watts I believe.

Holy hell you've got a lot of temperature probes. Is that attached to a BrewPi?

In addition to my normal BrewPi probes, this particular batch is instrumented with my RPi temperature logger and a set of 4 matched sensors to observe the difference between a thermowell'd probe and strapped-on probes, and the difference between two carboys in the same chamber. So, yeah, there's a lot going on, not my normal practice...

Teaser plot...

thermowell_plot_4.jpg

Cheers!

Very slick, nice work.

I see you're using a pocket hole jig for easy and strong joinery. Great choice, I use mine for almost everything. Everybody should have one; it makes little hobby projects so straightforward and headache-free.

Thanks! The Kreg system is the bomb, been using it for many years for actual cabinetry work, but it comes in handy for quickly banging utilitarian stuff together as well...

Cheers!

Back