Fermentation Blow Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwabizzle

Reaction score
Okay, so this is the first time this has happened to me, so I wanted to see what ya'll think.

I brewed a honey wheat yesterday and placed it in the brew closet to start fermenting. Fermentation started quickly, and before I went to bed everything was chugging along nicely. I woke up this morning to an explosion. The airlock had blown out and there was sticky icky all over the place. I quickly cleaned and sanitized the airlock and bung, replaced them, and then set about cleaning the mess.

My question is, should I worry too much about contamination? Once I put the airlock back on, it started bubling almost instantly, so that makes me think that I'll be okay-ish since CO2 is still being produced. I think that it was only exposed to the elements for a few hours, sooooo, fingers crossed.

Oh sure, it's happened to me plenty. Sometimes they coordinate in a group attack. Still ends up fine every time.

full

You're fine! As mentioned in an earlier post, blow off tubes are critical to prevent this from happening (usually).

Back