Quantcast

Fermentation almost over in less than 24 hours?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BuddhaK

Reaction score
For my first all-grain brew, I used a one gallon recipe. 2lbs pale malt 2 row, and 1/4 lb caramel malt 2 row. 1/2 package ale yeast and 1 oz centennial hops portioned six times throughout the brew.
I cooled it quickly, and had fermentation bubbles in just a few hours coming from a 2-1/2 gallon carboy. That was last night. This morning action has slowed a great deal.
Any insight in to whether this is normal, and what I can expect post complete fermentation? Also, what's your gauge to determining its time to bottle?

Tiny bubbles in the wine may be fine, but just give me lots of them from the fermenter!

Bplastic77

Reaction score
Check out this article.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/yeast-femrnetation-phases.html

There are other things to take in to consideration too.
The OG, Temp of fermentation, and 1/2 a package of yeast (I'm guessing dry) in 1 gallon of wort is a healthy dose of yeast. You just gone through the first stage of ferm really quickly but the yeast is still doing its thing. Let it do it for at least a week and than check the gravity for the first time. Check it again 3 days later if its the same its safe to bottle. From the grain bill the OG is probably not crazy high and if you don't want to waste any beer checking gravity multiple times give it 2 weeks and your probably safe to bottle. Have you been keeping track of the gravity? After 24 hr it is to early to check but it is the only way to be sure its time/safe to bottle. Next time double the batch, you have the room in the carboy. Then you will can check the gravity and still have over a gallon of beer at the end.

OP
B

BuddhaK

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. I started at 7% on the hydrometer. I'll likely wait the two weeks because, as you noted, the batch is small. I realized after pitching that the half pack was proportionately large compared to pitching for 5gal.

Tiny bubbles in the wine may be fine, but just give me lots of them from the fermenter!

OP
B

BuddhaK

Reaction score
Thanks again for the input. 5 days later I'm still getting fermentation bubbling.

OP
B

BuddhaK

Reaction score
Thanks again, Bplastic77

I'm still a rather new brewer in terms of number of batches. That 1 gal all-grain is still actively fermenting nearly a month in.
On 11-19, a hydrometer reading was 1.026, down from 1.053 on brew day (11-7). I'll take another reading in a day or two.
Happy Holidays to you!

Latest posts