Fermentation after diacetyl rest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietmb

Reaction score
First time lager brewer and had a quick question..

I have had my October fest lager in the kegerator now for 10 days, 7 at 50 degrees and the last three at 65 for a diacetyl rest. The lager is a little over 75% fermented (hydrometer reading) and I was wondering. If I rack it into a keg and cold crash it, will the lager continue to ferment the other 25% over the next month? I need another 15ish gravity points? (Using the 7/2 rule). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't rack it until it's totally done fermenting. If you crash it now you're not giving the yeast the opportunity to clean up their mess - diacetyl and acetaldehyde mainly. They will drop out of suspension and mostly stop.

Thanks! Will letting it sit at the 65 degrees for an extended time before crashing it give it any off flavors? Or should I only give it X amount of days then I would have to rack it and drop the temp?

Thanks! Will letting it sit at the 65 degrees for an extended time before crashing it give it any off flavors? Or should I only give it X amount of days then I would have to rack it and drop the temp?

Sitting at 65F shouldn't produce anything off. Assuming your sanitation is good. The yeast produce the majority of their flavor (esters, etc) in the beginning, which is why keeping it colder early is important. I'd wait until it's totally done, then give it another couple of days, then crash it and move to a keg for lagering.

Awesome thanks for the help!

Back