fermentation addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potatoe

Reaction score
So I've been making apfelwein and cyser in one gallon batches, as I typically acquire enough free apples every week or so to make a one gallon batch. I juice organic "dessert" apples, (gala, pink lady, granny smith, etc.), in a consumer centrifugal juicer. I heat to about 170 for a few minutes, skim off the crud, cool to pitch temp, and throw into a one gallon jar, (using wine yeast, I am experimenting with Lavlin and red star varieties at the moment, to see what I like best.

Anyhow, I am running out of jars. My idea is to ferment a one gallon batch in a 5 or 6.5 gallon carboy, and add apples as they come my way. 5-6 one gallon additions over the course of a month or two.

Will this work? Might it have an interesting effect? or will I wear the yeasty beasties out, and generate some nasty sulferic odors? Any insight or experience is much appreciated.

this will work, and in fact people who make high alcohol beers such as barly wine use a similar method of adding things. Just be careful about air when you transfer, try using a siphon.

Back