Ferment WLP833 as an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadie

Reaction score
Want to brew my first Munich Helles and submit to competition. Read you can ferment 833 at 65 just like an ale to hurry the beer along with no negative effects. Have any of you tried this?

I would be astonished if you got a beer that would medal as a helles fermenting that warm.

You may get a solid beer but it will be estery.

If you are in a hurry look up the quick lager method. You should be able to go grain to glass in 3 weeks to a month.

It was Brulosophy that said they are using 833 and fermenting as an ale and are unable to tell the difference between the resulting beer fermented warm and fermented in the low 50’s.

I fermented a German Pilsner a few months ago with WLP833 at about 60-65F. It threw some sulfur during fermentation, but this not uncommon for this yeast. The beer turned out great.

Edit: I used WLP830, not WLP833.

Last edited:
You can ferment with any lager yeast at ale temperature, some stay fairly clean and some get real estery.
I once brewed a pilsner at 70f with Wyeast Pacman yeast that turned out real good.

It was Brulosophy that said they are using 833 and fermenting as an ale and are unable to tell the difference between the resulting beer fermented warm and fermented in the low 50’s.
According to most Brulospohy experiments, you could ferment with a muddy barn boot in the fermenter and they would not be able to tell the difference.
Nothing against them, and Brulosphy has fun experiments, no doubt, but either their tasters have some dull palates, or apparently nothing matters in beer making.

According to most Brulospohy experiments, you could ferment with a muddy barn boot in the fermenter and they would not be able to tell the difference.
Nothing against them, and Brulosphy has fun experiments, no doubt, but either their tasters have some dull palates, or apparently nothing matters in beer making.

I tend to agree with the sentiment above.

I brew a lot for competition and until I start seeing or hearing of brewers winning medals at larger comps with clean lighter styles fermenting at ale temps. I'll stick to my belief that you can make good beer but not great beer with some of those short cut methods.

I have made a few very good lagers using brulosophy's popular quick lager method with 830 and 940. I have also made some bad lagers using other apparently less forgiving strains.

I have a few buddies that cling to that site like gospel changing this or that based on the most recent inconclusive experiment. They tend to dump every fifth batch.

I have had success in competition using 833 and the quick lager method. I guess I’m back to that.

Is there an ale yeast that you could ferment at 70 fahrenheit that would produce similar results to WLP833? I tried safale fermentis US-05 but it wasn't a great replacement for 833.

I made an Eisbock using 1056... pitched a ton of active yeast, pure O2 at pitch, and fermented at ~62. Won a BOS. So, considering the freeze concentration that happens with Eisbocks, any off flavors would be even more pronounced. So I say give 1056 a shot...

I've used wlp833 at 64F/18C in a really basic helles. It was a while ago but i remember it being pretty good considering the ferment temperature. S-189 is another lager yeast that makes alright beer at a higher temp.

Is there an ale yeast that you could ferment at 70 fahrenheit that would produce similar results to WLP833? I tried safale fermentis US-05 but it wasn't a great replacement for 833.

So you'd be looking for a malt-enhancing ale yeast that is non-phenolic and non-estery . . . .

Latest posts

Back