ferment time for wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I heard on a non homebrewing forum that a wheat beer doesn't benefit much from conditioning. I was planning on doing the 1-2-3 time schedule. Is what I hear true? Could I shave off some time in secondary and bottling and probably not taste a difference? Sort of makes sense, if doing a hefeweizen..

I'm two days into secondary right now. maybe just bottle after a week?

Sure. I go with a 2 week primary then straight to the bottle/keg.

You can't really shave off much time bottling, becuase they still need time to carb up.

I heard on a non homebrewing forum that a wheat beer doesn't benefit much from conditioning. I was planning on doing the 1-2-3 time schedule. Is what I hear true? Could I shave off some time in secondary and bottling and probably not taste a difference? Sort of makes sense, if doing a hefeweizen..

I'm two days into secondary right now. maybe just bottle after a week?

I would have just skipped the secondary, since that's for clearing the beer and wheat beers (particularly hefeweizens) are cloudy. Two weeks in the fermenter is fine before bottling, assuming that the FG has been reached and is stable. If you've been at FG for three days or more, you can bottle at any time.

ok, well that's enough to convince me! I kinda messes up o.g. and f.g. readings for this batch (my first batch).. I don't know what f.g is supposed to be, but right now it's around 1.005.

And as you said, if you're drinking a wheat beer you're not looking for a clear beer:)

Alright, I think I'll bottle at week 2 then.

Back