Ferment temps with WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
So, ive been reading around the fourms about this yeast. I plan on making a houblon chouffe clone and wanted to know the best temps to ferment at. I know im using westmalle yeast but its all the guy at the LHBS had.

Anyway...do i start in the 70's then bump it up to 80's after a few days? Just keep it in the 70's the whole time?

This is my first Trippel...so any advice would be helpful. I hear the WLP530 is notorious for stalling at 1.030...so i want to avoid that if possible.

PS i have a 1L starter going that I made a few days ago...

WLP530 goes hard and fast for a couple days and then slows waaay down. I've used it a couple times and needed a blowoff both times. I kept it around 70 for the first couple days and then just let it warm up naturally with the yeast activity to help move the fermentation along. If it slows down more than you like, rock the carboy or stir it up with a sanitized racking cane. Oh, one more thing.. don't judge it by the smell during the first week or so- 530 is pretty strong smelling while young. :)

Back