Ferment temps question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyeBrewer

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of caribou slobber and I am fermenting in a room that's 70 deg. Is this too warm? After just 12 hours the airlock is bubbling like crazy.

70 is at the end of the northwest ale from Wyeast if that is what you used. Fermentation is going to raise that temp a few degrees as well. If you have a spare tub, put some cold water in it and toss a wet towel over it, that should help you out. Side note, I think the instructions in that kit said good in 6 weeks. I really think this beer needs longer, mine started to really taste great at 8 weeks.

What's the yeast and what's the temperature range of that yeast?

The air temperature isn't a great indicator of the temperature in the bucket, which is most likely several degrees higher, so you may be out of the range.

I asked a similar question here and lots of great information was shared. And you can see how I used a water bath, aquarium heater and stir plate to maintain a constant temperature of my fermenting batch.

The fermenting wort can be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient. If the room is 70, it is likely the wort is much warmer, which is on the upper end of the yeast commonly used with the slobber (windosr or northwest ale, I think).

The yeast will still definitely go to town, it just may contain some off flavors you were not expecting.

Side note, I think the instructions in that kit said good in 6 weeks. I really think this beer needs longer, mine started to really taste great at 8 weeks.

is that 3 weeks primary 3 weeks bottle or in the case you're suggesting, 4 weeks primary 4 weeks bottle condidtioning? Or is it 6 weeks primary that you're reffering to?

Hey,

I'm new to home brewing (I am only just about to start my first batch), but I've read (and also my kit suggests) that using a blow-by system initially for the first 2-3 days of fermentation when the yeast is going crazy is a good idea to let out the mass amounts of CO2 quickly. Basically, instead of using the airlock right off the bat, fit your tubing into the cap on the top of your fermenter and then put the other end of the tubing into a bowl of sanitized water, and leave it for 2-3 days like this, and then remove and put your air lock on for the rest of the fermentation.

MrBrown said:
is that 3 weeks primary 3 weeks bottle or in the case you're suggesting, 4 weeks primary 4 weeks bottle condidtioning? Or is it 6 weeks primary that you're reffering to?

I went 4 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary and then kegged. My point, let this beer to for awhile.

Hey,

I'm new to home brewing (I am only just about to start my first batch), but I've read (and also my kit suggests) that using a blow-by system initially for the first 2-3 days of fermentation when the yeast is going crazy is a good idea to let out the mass amounts of CO2 quickly. Basically, instead of using the airlock right off the bat, fit your tubing into the cap on the top of your fermenter and then put the other end of the tubing into a bowl of sanitized water, and leave it for 2-3 days like this, and then remove and put your air lock on for the rest of the fermentation.

Yep. That's called a blow off tube and I use it initially on my brews. Search fermentation blow offs or disasters and you'll see why it it's a good idea.

Ok so I did a wall temp reading and got 70deg. I then took an infrared reading of the plastic fermenter and got 75 degrees. So I should move it to a colder room then correct? Then once primary is done move it to the 70 deg room again. Does that sound like a solid plan? I am using the norstar Windsor yeast

Ok so I did a wall temp reading and got 70deg. I then took an infrared reading of the plastic fermenter and got 75 degrees. So I should move it to a colder room then correct? Then once primary is done move it to the 70 deg room again. Does that sound like a solid plan? I am using the norstar Windsor yeast

Move your beer to a cooler room. 75 is to warm. It's not a deal breaker, it's just that you are going to have some off flavors. 68 is a perfect temp.

Sigh, so I moved my beer to a cooler temp (65deg) after it was bubbling furiously at(70). And it very quickly slowed. Today I checked on it and there was NO activity in the airlock. So I was puzzled. I decided I'd try the warmer room again (no other options seemed to surface) and now I have a stuck fermentation. I brewed on Saturday and its now Monday so it's unlikely it completed fermentation. I'm gonna pop the lid and get a gravity reading in a few hours.

No leave it alone in the dark in the cool room for a couple of weeks. Just because it is not bubbling does not mean the yeast are not working.

Your job is to provide a nice environment and food for the yeast. They know what they are doing and have done it for a gadzillion years with out our help and can continue to do so.

Hardest part of brewing is leaving it alone but that is the best advice you will get. Everytime you open it up you are asking to start a thread called is it infected.

Just put it in the cool room covered to keep it dark and walk away for a couple of weeks

Back