Ferment temp for Belgian Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hey fellas.

Any advice on ferment temperature for a belgian blonde ale? I'm thinking a bit higher, as we like the fruity-tooty-ness. Maybe 72 degrees?

I don't have any experience with these, but reading Beer Captured it seems like 72-75 is fine (depending on how estery you like your beer). I'm planning on trying a recipe or two this summer when my house is warm and other styles would be out of the question.

I wouldn't go any higher than that. Plus factor in that fermentation will raise the inside temp a few degrees. Most of the fruitiness comes from the yeast strain. I think I would still go with whatever is the recommended temp for the yeast.

Brewsmith said:
I wouldn't go any higher than that. Plus factor in that fermentation will raise the inside temp a few degrees. Most of the fruitiness comes from the yeast strain. I think I would still go with whatever is the recommended temp for the yeast.

Brewsmith beat me to exactly what I was going to say. I think, especially when trying a style for the first time, it's best to try to hit the very heart of the temp range for that yeast strain.

Then you'll know what kind of result that yields, and next time you use that strain, you'll know if you want it a little warmer or cooler or whatever.

Besides, Belgian strains are all on the estery side even in the lower ranges of their temp ranges, for the most part.

those are both good points. I don't want to have the juice at 72 and then have it jump up to 78 when the fermentation starts rolling. And it would be a good idea to brew something like this in the summer...

I live in southern california and, though it never really gets very hot (or cold), we have the worst home insulation in the 1st world. Whatever temp it is outside quickly becomes the indoor temp, too. Our walls must be totally hollow.

Kristanna_Loken_0002.jpg

Latest posts

Back