Ferment and serve in same keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgpeltier

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try fermenting and serving from the same keg, but have been having doubts about that strategy since finishing my brewday (a pale ale with a blend of kveik and WLP644) yesterday.

The original plan was to push out the trub (via a picnic tap) after hitting my FG and cold crashing. However, I haven't been able to find too many people who have done this successfully because it sounds like a lot of trub can get left behind in the keg for each subsequent pour, and/or the dip tube can get clogged. Also, I only have one keg, so I can't ferment in my keg and then do a closed transfer to a second serving keg after fermentation finishes. The way I see it, I have three options:
  1. Keep going like planned. Finish fermentation, cold crash, push out trub using picnic tap.
  2. Transfer to carboy while primary fermentation is still going on. At roughly 36 hours in to fermentation, I'd use CO2 to push beer and trub to a purged carboy. Then after fermentation finishes I'd do another closed transfer back to the original, sanitized keg (leaving trub behind in carboy).
  3. Transfer to carboy after fermentation finishes, clean/sanitize keg, then immediately do a closed transfer back to the keg, but leaving trub behind in carboy.
So does anyone have experience with fermenting and serving in the same keg to recommend one of these options (or any other options)? Because I'll be doing closed transfers, I'd think any of the options should work OK, but wanted to get some others' advice.

Thanks in advance.

The articulated floating pickup would be a more efficient solution than simply chopping the dip tube.
Someone needs to produce an inexpensive PET dip tube for corny kegs that the buyer could trim as needed...

Cheers!

You won't come anywhere close to pushing out all of the trub--you'll just clear a little well at the bottom. I think it's possible to ferment and serve from the same keg, but unless your yeast is one that compacts like cement, you're probably going to be dealing with gunky pours for the life of the beer.

Can you just bottle this one and buy another keg for next time? I think keg fermenting is great--I do it most of the time--but it would be a lot easier with another keg.

I've been wanting to try fermenting and serving from the same keg, but have been having doubts about that strategy since finishing my brewday (a pale ale with a blend of kveik and WLP644) yesterday.

The original plan was to push out the trub (via a picnic tap) after hitting my FG and cold crashing. However, I haven't been able to find too many people who have done this successfully because it sounds like a lot of trub can get left behind in the keg for each subsequent pour, and/or the dip tube can get clogged. Also, I only have one keg, so I can't ferment in my keg and then do a closed transfer to a second serving keg after fermentation finishes. The way I see it, I have three options:
  1. Keep going like planned. Finish fermentation, cold crash, push out trub using picnic tap.
  2. Transfer to carboy while primary fermentation is still going on. At roughly 36 hours in to fermentation, I'd use CO2 to push beer and trub to a purged carboy. Then after fermentation finishes I'd do another closed transfer back to the original, sanitized keg (leaving trub behind in carboy).
  3. Transfer to carboy after fermentation finishes, clean/sanitize keg, then immediately do a closed transfer back to the keg, but leaving trub behind in carboy.
So does anyone have experience with fermenting and serving in the same keg to recommend one of these options (or any other options)? Because I'll be doing closed transfers, I'd think any of the options should work OK, but wanted to get some others' advice.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20180610_205251.jpg
this is a kegfermenter transfer to corny serving keg..corny weight s @43 when full

Beer troll saying i will ferment in kegmenter transfer to another kegmenter..kegs are @13gallon..Why not just serve? You can butttttt.do not move keg at all..What happens to me is the keg sits in one spot till transfer.transfer day put pinic tap on keg..pull trub and some yeast..This is the first time i taste the beer,as i never take readings og,fg and do not even know abv...anyways see the pic ,when it draws up trub and yeast i stop and harvest all that i can in a half gallon mason jar using the pinic tapIMG_20181124_132831.jpg

Back