Ferment and serve from same keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The last couple of brews I've put into corny kegs directly from the Grainfather and fermented under light pressure (2 lb or so). This time, instead of bending the dip tube I put in a floating dip tube and filter. Should I condition for two weeks (I'm doing a stout) and then serve the beer in the same corny keg or should I use the spunding valve to do a close transfer to a clean corny keg?

(Let us not talk about me effing up and forgetting the anti-foam agent in the keg. And five hours later, hearing a dripping noise and realizing the keg had sprayed out about a gallon of stout, which leaked out of the fermentation fridge and spread out over the carpet in the back room… The two-step yeast starter certainly did its job.)

I recently did my first pressurized fermentation in a 5G corny under 15 psi (Hoppy pale ale). I served from the same keg, nicely carbonated, came out great! I did remember the antifoaming agent, tho.

I have served several batches straight off the fermenting keg with great results. Also using a floating dip tube.

Only problem was when I jockeyed around kegs to make room in the kegerator. That stirred up the yeast cake and took a day to settle out

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to transfer yet, so I may just let the batch condition in the fermenter (I put a floating dip tube in it at the start of fermentation) and serve from that.

Thanks for the warning about letting it sit for a day. The fermenter's in the basement, so I'm sure to put a bunch of yeast in suspension when I carry it upstairs to the kegerator.

Back