FermCap / Foam Control is AMAZING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worlddivides

Reaction score
After my Belgian ale had the most explosive fermentation I've ever experienced, someone on this site recommended that I buy some FermCap ("Foam Control"), so last month I bought a bottle and just yesterday and today tried it out on a Double IPA I'm making.

During the brew, I only added two drops and it completely prevented any boil-over. It was like the hot break just didn't exist. After I pitched my yeast, the yeast took off almost immediately and foamed up several inches within 12-18 hours. After it started looking like it was going to go out of control, I put five drops of the FermCap in the fermenter and the foam vanished instantly from the center where it fell and slowly removed the foam from around it. Even now, the foam is slowly vanishing, even though the fermentation is growing stronger and stronger.

This stuff is amazing. :fro:

I love FermCap in the boil. I started brewing in the early 90's and stopped around 2000. When I started up again, I found FermCap and I have to say it's probably the thing that's most responsible for my current enjoyment of brewing. It used to be, I couldn't leave the kettle since it could boil over at any time. Now, I can leave the kettle and get things cleaned. Used to be, when I was done with the boil, I'd have an hour of cleaning to do. Now all I have to clean is the kettle, the hop spider and and chiller.

It is pretty cool stuff. I use it in the boil and like @Spartan1979 can walk away without boil-over worry. I don't use it in the fermenter, no reason, just never have.

I boiled 15 gal in my keggle two weeks ago. It's good stuff, but I always erred on the side of less because I don't want estrogenic compounds in my beer. This will be my first filtered batch and I didn't hesitate to drop that fermcap in. I noticed that it gave me the most well coagulated hot break I've ever had.

Back