Ferm Temps after Primary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokie_Brewer

Reaction score
So I'm considering getting a mini-fridge to act as a fermentation chamber, however the one I can get for free would only be able to fit 1 fermentor.

My question is, if I want to have two batches fermenting at a time (overlapping) will controlling ferm temperatures during the very active stage of fermentation, and then allowing the beer to sit hotter afterward lead to off flavors? Or is temperature control still important after active fermentation?

I was thinking of controlling the temperatures for the first 2 weeks or so and then moving the fermentor to a closet or something for the last 2 weeks and getting a new fermentor in the mini-fridge. Thoughts? :mug:

I've read/heard of beers that have had dif stages of ferment temps. But not that wide of a difference. More like dialing up/down the setting on the controller for the fridge. Lagers are a good example of this. If you have the capabilities,read up on it & Experiment.

how much hotter exactly? letting a beer warm up towards the end of fermentation is actually common practice

I also have a mini fridge that I use for crash cooling but am looking to use it for temperature controlled fermentations. Can a fridge really achieve a consistent 65-70 degree range for fermenting ales? Seems way warm for a fridge.

if its in a warm enough place and you have a temperature controller for it they can. it'll only provide power when the temperature gets too high, which will rarely happen at those temps

Well my apartment get's really hot in the summer, and I'm trying to prepare for that. So I was thinking for a basic ale fermenting in the mid to low 60s during its really active phase and then leaving it at room temp after. But the room temp could get up to 75-80* and could fluctuate.

I guess my real question is does the high temperatures and temperature fluctuation have more of an effect during the active part of the fermentation, or the whole time?

Thanks for the help :mug:

its most crucial during the first 48 hours or so of active fermentation since thats when the bulk of temperature related off-flavors can occur. however, those temps are pretty high for anything not belgian or wheat and extended time could be an issue (although a few days at the tail end may do it good and really ramp up your attenuation). it should be fine, but id do a search for swamp coolers on the site to keep them a bit cooler

Yeah, I've seen the swamp cooler setup. I'm trying to just have a mini-fridge to control ferm temps, but if I can only have one fermenter in at a time unless I only want to brew once a month, I need to move it after ~2 weeks.

I was wondering the same thing because I am about to go buy another primary, but only have one swamp cooler. I need to just go get another container to use for a second swamp cooler, but I was curious if a slight raise in temperature would be alright after the bulk of fermentation is finished.

Yeah, I've seen the swamp cooler setup. I'm trying to just have a mini-fridge to control ferm temps, but if I can only have one fermenter in at a time unless I only want to brew once a month, I need to move it after ~2 weeks.

you'll be fine, I just can't say long term (months) at those temps would be good for it.

I was wondering the same thing because I am about to go buy another primary, but only have one swamp cooler. I need to just go get another container to use for a second swamp cooler, but I was curious if a slight raise in temperature would be alright after the bulk of fermentation is finished.

a slight raise is fine. I'd actually let it warm up as fermentation slows to ensure a strong attenuation

I've been fermenting my beer at 60 to 64 for about 4 or 5 days and then letting them warm to 72 for the next 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I like the flavor and I get good attenuation as the yeast will be slightly more active at the warmer temp. I bottle and even with only a week in the bottle at 72 degrees, I seem to have good carbonation and the flavor is much better than when I had fermented warm and for a shorter time.

I've been fermenting my beer at 60 to 64 for about 4 or 5 days and then letting them warm to 72 for the next 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I like the flavor and I get good attenuation as the yeast will be slightly more active at the warmer temp. I bottle and even with only a week in the bottle at 72 degrees, I seem to have good carbonation and the flavor is much better than when I had fermented warm and for a shorter time.

Great, this is just what I was looking for.

Anyone else do something similar?

I have a question that is related to the title, but not the circumstances of the OP

I'm brewing a Belgian right now. First week had it at 70 then gradually moved it up 73/74 (small room with space heater and wrapped in a sleeping bag to reduce swings). I'll be moving it to secondary after about 3 and a half weeks. At that point, can I let the temperature drop off for conditioning? I was hoping I could turn off the space heater and let the room go back to about 66 degrees for the next month or so. I also have a 50 watt aquarium heater, but nothing to hold it and my BetterBottle

I have a question that is related to the title, but not the circumstances of the OP

I'm brewing a Belgian right now. First week had it at 70 then gradually moved it up 73/74 (small room with space heater and wrapped in a sleeping bag to reduce swings). I'll be moving it to secondary after about 3 and a half weeks. At that point, can I let the temperature drop off for conditioning? I was hoping I could turn off the space heater and let the room go back to about 66 degrees for the next month or so. I also have a 50 watt aquarium heater, but nothing to hold it and my BetterBottle

yup, thats perfectly fine. not that anything is wrong with it, but why move it to the secondary at that point?

yup, thats perfectly fine. not that anything is wrong with it, but why move it to the secondary at that point?

Recipe is for a Tripel IPA, my OG was 1.081. Had a 2.3L starter with Wyeast 3522. Calls for 2 week primary and 1 month secondary.

I thought additional time might help the beer clear, clean up off flavors, and ensure the fermentation completed (haven't taken a SG since brew day, but am going to tonight and Saturday)

Recipe is for a Tripel IPA, my OG was 1.081. Had a 2.3L starter with Wyeast 3522. Calls for 2 week primary and 1 month secondary.

I thought additional time might help the beer clear, clean up off flavors, and ensure the fermentation completed (haven't taken a SG since brew day, but am going to tonight and Saturday)

The additional time will certainly do that, but it'll do it just as well in the primary too. It's all a matter of preference, but moving to a secondary isn't really necessary, unless of course you need to free up your primary.

The additional time will certainly do that, but it'll do it just as well in the primary too. It's all a matter of preference, but moving to a secondary isn't really necessary, unless of course you need to free up your primary.

Oh, right, and most importantly lets me brew my next batch on sunday :rockin:

Back