Ferm fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zibe

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but is this ok as far as ventilation around the fridge

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1468094095.728475.jpg

Got the fridge for free with the house but the only other place to put it is in an un-airconditioned garage or sunroom which in southwest Texas means well over 100deg. I've done this but the fridge struggles and I'm afraid I'm gonna burn out the fridge trying to cold crash. I can raise the closet rod a few inches to get the clothes off if needed. Like I said probably dumb as you see kitchen fridges wedged into cabinets all the time but figured I'd ask since this will also be behind a closed door.

Oh yeah don't tell my wife I moved her junk into one of the kids closets to do this...

You might want to put a circulation fan in there if you're worried about it (you can find small AC powered fans on Amazon for around $20) but you should be OK. Oh, and make sure your wife doesn't read this. Calling her things "junk" is probably not a good idea.

Yeah I think it'll be fine too once it's at temp and running I was only wondering about when dropping the temp if it'll struggle lacking good airflow around it. Like I said Texas so I use it to drop wort temp as I can't go all the way with an immersion and then again to cold crash. Really want to try my first true lager as well.

Texas? Is this your Winter Residence? ;)

Going from that front view, it appears the condenser is located under the unit and likely fan-driven.
If true, that's A Good Thing, because otherwise it'll use radiant cooling through the skin which needs a larger environment...

Cheers!

The condenser is in the bottom rear like most minifridges but it's behind a metal panel. Now that I'm paying attention to it I don't feel the outside get warm like normal it's a vissano or vissani whatever wine fridge so it'll only go down to 39f it's got a fan on the inside on the back wall blowing in and I have seen that back wall condense up and freeze when the fridge is working too hard I have it plugged into an stc1000 during ferm then I just plug it straight in for cold crash down to 39.

And Texas is the year round residence I gave up my awesome basement in Ohio that kept perfect ale temps year round for this little fridge so all my hopes and dreams are on that little guy. Gotta protect him.

It looks like it ventilates the system through the front.

Can't tell if there's a door on that closet. You close that door and it'll get hot in there. If not, I think you'd be fine.

I think you're right should ventilate through bottom front and there is a closet door which I can leave open when I'm crashing it down, when it's just maintaining an ale temp I'm not worried about it shouldn't even run too much

Latest posts

Back