ferm chamber - mini fridge or AC unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmalizia

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a ferm chamber for my garage. I live in the central valley in california and temps range from about 25 to 110 winter to summer.

My kegerator does struggle a little bit out there, but it holds up well enough at 38 with an stc. Kenmore mini fridge labeled as a sanyo and identical to the popular sanyo without a freezer.

For the chamber I have two options...
1) Use the mini fridge to cool a larger chamber with serving temps and ale temp chamber to use as kegerator and fermenter

or 2) use a window AC unit I have sitting around for the ferm chamber and keep the fridge as is.

I assume the AC unit would be a bit more powerful than a mini fridge for cooling and kicking out the hot air as well.

Just looking for any thoughts on this. I'm leaning towards the AC unit because worst case scenario I can move the fridge to it later if it doesnt work out, and its not being used today.

The ultimate plan is to build this onto my back patio with a sink and counter. Serve beer and ferment out there.

I used an AC unit for my chamber initially. Initially I could cold crash to 34 but noticed that it was on note than I thought it should be even at fermenting temps. Last summer the AC died on me. I'm not sure if it burned out trying to stay cool or if there was some other reason. Anyhow, I replaced it with the guts of a square mini fridge. I'm much happier with the insulation, but should have gone with a larger fridge as it seems I can only hold about a 25-30 degree temperature difference between the inside and outside.

I used an AC unit for my chamber initially. Initially I could cold crash to 34 but noticed that it was on note than I thought it should be even at fermenting temps. Last summer the AC died on me. I'm not sure if it burned out trying to stay cool or if there was some other reason. Anyhow, I replaced it with the guts of a square mini fridge. I'm much happier with the insulation, but should have gone with a larger fridge as it seems I can only hold about a 25-30 degree temperature difference between the inside and outside.

Temperature differential is my main concern. My mini fridge already struggles a bit, albeit, not insulated the greatest. I may be better off just purchasing a large keezer for the back patio down the road, but I think for now, it sounds like the AC Unit will hold me over, since I already have it.

Thanks.

without knowing the specifics of your fridge and AC, generally the compressors on AC units are stronger, so my vote is AC.

Its the kenmore version of the popular sanyo. 4912? or something like that. Same thing, different badging.

The ac unit is a a haier one. I think 5000 btu. this one maybe? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037UPER4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. looks just like it.

Ill be using a brewpi. I'm thinking I could build two chambers with fans and cool one down with unit for serving temps and one for fermenting puling from the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seen: how many fermenters do you want to be able to run at once?

We have a 5K BTU room AC unit in the guest room and it called for a dedicated 15A line, which would be over the rating for the typical relay module used in the Arduino/RPi space (usually, 10A max rating). You might want to use an SCR or a slaved relay of higher capacity.

Anyway, AC units will surely be more powerful than a mini-fridge, but from everything I've read they can be a pita, between icing and trying to actually control them. And digital AC units may not like to have their power removed (ie: they may not automatically power-up again).

Frankly, I'd opt for a Craig's List chest freezer...

Cheers!

Not seen: how many fermenters do you want to be able to run at once?

We have a 5K BTU room AC unit in the guest room and it called for a dedicated 15A line, which would be over the rating for the typical relay module used in the Arduino/RPi space (usually, 10A max rating). You might want to use an SCR or a slaved relay of higher capacity.

Anyway, AC units will surely be more powerful than a mini-fridge, but from everything I've read they can be a pita, between icing and trying to actually control them. And digital AC units may not like to have their power removed (ie: they may not automatically power-up again).

Frankly, I'd opt for a Craig's List chest freezer...

Cheers!

I use 6 gallon carboys today. I suspect I would have no more than 2 beers in primary at a time. But I wanted a cold section to store kegs in when my 2 keg kegerator hasnt kicked yet.

Youre right, ideally I would go and get a chest freezer. Convincing my wife of this is a different story. If I did this I would make it a keezer and probably just use the existing mini fridge as a single carboy fermenter. Or I'd add fans to a second chamber to control ale fermentation.

A dedicated circuit would be easy enough because my panel is literally 3' away from where I plan on locating the chamber.

The difference is I have to go buy a chest freezer. I have the AC unit just sitting around now. She'd balk at that idea. At least until I get rid of my other projects in the garage. Like my motorcycle. And my grandpas ampex stereo console, and my hockey gear, and my power tools, and my "insert other toys here".

The worst part is I can afford it, but SWMBO will kaybosh it until I get our back patio and master bathroom fixed. Even though its such a small amount.

Sounds like I need to do some more planning and soul searching before building anything. haha.

Latest posts

Back