Ferm Chamber Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
I recently moved and am setting up shop (brewing) in my garage. I (along with my wife, she is awesone) feel I will need a controlled fermating area. We thought about the garage but are worried it will get too cold in the winter (eastern pa).

Should I just plan on fermenting in the basement? Would a fermentation chamber protect the brew from freezing?

Thanks

What type of chamber ? if its a freezer with temp control its insulated. Even then a heating pad or carboy warmer might be needed. One of the reasons i went with the Johnson A419 controller. I can switch it over to heat when i need too.

Get a dual-stage temperature controller. This will allow you to plug in both a cooling element (freezer, fridge, etc) and a heating element (lamp, heating pad, etc) and it will keep a set temperature for you, regardless of the temperature outside of the chamber.

If you've got the room for the fermentation fridge/freezer in your garage, you might as well keep all of your brewing equipment in one place and save yourself the hassle of transporting carboys around the house.

All you need to do is have a heat source. I've read of light bulbs, hair dryers and heating pads being used. Get a duel control temperature controller(check out the e-bay aquarium thread) and you should be set. Is the garage attached to the house and insulated?

It is a semi attached, semi finished but not insulated or temp controlled. Def have room for any size fridge.

I might just keep it closer to the house to help avoid huge temp swings like when you open up the garage door. That's what I found to be best for myself in MN, especially in the winter.

Back