Ferm allowed to get too warm. How bad is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, been home brewing for a few years now. First time I ever let the ferm get outside the temp range.

its getting hot here in W TN and I guess I consumed a bit too much of my product last evening. Got up later than normal and went to check on my current brew in the conical. It’s actually a cider on day 8 of ferm. I used Wyeast 4766 Cider and Mead yeast and use a bucket of ice water circulated throughout the coils of my SS Brewtech Conical. Normally, I’m very good about changing the ice out 2-3x/day, but it slipped last night and getting up later than normal this morning allowed the temp to spike a bit.

The 4766 package says 60-75 F. I have the controller set at 67 F. Up until this morning, I’d been consistently between 66-69. When I went out this AM it was 78.4 F. It may have been over temp for only a few hours or could have been 12+. How screwed am I?

Given this happened after 8 days of controlled fermentation I wouldn't expect anything untoward from this temperature excursion.
Estery character production usually happens much earlier after the pitch. I'd say carry on...

Cheers!

Thanks. Ive managed to get temp back down to 70 F and bubbling never slowed or stopped, so, hoping for the best. Everything I’ve read seems to say you don’t get a lot of off flavors until about 10 F off.

I'm using the same yeast for cider, I noticed the website says 60-75 like you mentioned, but I noticed the back of the pack says 65-72, any idea why the discrepancy?

I'm trying to figure out a good temp to set my fermentation fridge to avoid bad temps.

Thanks.

Back