Fementation go too warm?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDBrew

Reaction score
Help. I had a batch of steam beer fermenting in our basement. It normally stays nice and cool but overnight i must have had a kid or wife crank up the thermostat. The temperature strip on the fermenting bucket jumped about 15 degrees overnight to just over 77 degrees. It was on its 3rd day of fementation. it went from frequent bubbles in the airlock to none when i checked on it this morning. What are my options? Maybe cool it and pitch more yeast if the gravity needs to come down more?

Thanks for any advice!

don't worry about it. move it further away from the heat source and let it sit for another week then take a hydrometer reading.

If anything you may have gotten some off tastes that will subside with time. Going up to 77f isn't the end of the world. You fermentation is still taking place but probably just slowing naturally at this point. Just leave it be, take some hydrometer readings in a few days and continue as normal.

Back