Fellowship of the Home Brew I: The Hops are Strong with this one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's reasonable! Primary fermentation is typically done within 5 days and well, with bottling temps I can see that as a rest! Sounds right about on! I hope to drink the rest of my meh HB to maybe participate but my liver may not like me much

Wait, what?! I've got an IPA that has been fermenting for 2 weeks now, and I'm arguing with myself over whether or not to let it keep going for another week yet! 8 days... that's insanity!

It gets better. I used 1318, London Ale for the first time. I was committed to the time frame, but just ensuring no off flavors first so started cold crashing on day 7.

When popping the top on day 8, there was still some activity going on....humm. OG=1.063. FG=1.022. ABV=5.25%. Sampled fine tho with no diacetyl! Transferred to bottling bucket. This was my first time using Cryo hops and from what I read, I smashed them up, added to bottling bucket, ran a CO2 line into the bucket and bubbled the daylights out of it for 10min (again what I read). That's when all hell broke loose.

These Cryo hops are more like hop pellets then some powder that dissolves in ones beer, as I thought. So I needed to filter out the material. I grabbed a bucket and used my large SS hop strainer, put the CO2 line in this bucket and while pouring, again, had CO2 blasting. Had to leave the room a few times to catch my breath! :)

Did the same thing back into the bottling bucket. So yesterday, now on day 6, took sample to LHBS guys and asked for off flavor checks. They loved this IPA with no oxidation or other nasties. In case one is wondering, I always sanitize the **** out of everything joking that with every bottle of my HB one drinks a shot of Starsans!

I should bring some to the Pint House Pizza brewers for an opinion...but I usually stay and get tanked, so IDK just yet.

Hope this helps any concerns. :mug:

I think that's reasonable! Primary fermentation is typically done within 5 days and well, with bottling temps I can see that as a rest! Sounds right about on! I hope to drink the rest of my meh HB to maybe participate but my liver may not like me much

Sounds like your in to me! So my goal was that 75% of what I home brew is as good or better then 75% of retail beer. Sometimes it is some times it isn't, so don't worry about 'meh' beer...we all love "free" beer!

In some way's I would encourage participants to send their worst beer if they needed advice for possible what went wrong.

In so Far:
1) PianoMan
2) jerbrew
3) JDXX1971
4) Scturo
5) imasickboy
6) fourfarthing
7) TwistedGray
8) Thorrak
9) cegan09
10) brizzo
11) RevKev

In some way's I would encourage participants to send their worst beer if they needed advice for possible what went wrong.

My currently-on-hand-worst-beer:

An "Irish stout" that I apparently mis-weighed the roasted barley for. It looks like brackish water. And it tastes like brackish water. That would be like forgetting most of the hops in an IPA. It's ****. I wouldn't subject it to anyone. But I do plan to pull a gallon of it to make malt vinegar, so only four gallons will be dumped.

Advice:

Don't measure your ingredients while drunk.

Let's see if I can get this Omega NEIPA yeast to give me 10.4%. That should set me up nice to dilute with some purée and have a nice Imperial juice bomb. The juice is loose!

An "Irish stout" that I apparently mis-weighed the roasted barley for. It looks like brackish water. And it tastes like brackish water. That would be like forgetting most of the hops in an IPA. It's ****. I wouldn't subject it to anyone. But I do plan to pull a gallon of it to make malt vinegar, so only four gallons will be dumped.

Advice:

I've got two beers in fermenters right now:

The first is an IPA (which I still need to dry hop!) which was intended to have an SG of 1.078 but is between 1.075 (if you trust my refractometer) and 1.093 (if you trust my digital hydrometer). It also happened to end up with 50% on my floor during the boil -- but I promise, that bit didn't end up back in the fermenter. ;)

The second is a porter that was intended to have an SG of 1.051 but is between 1.069 (if you trust my digital hydrometer) and 1.082 (if you trust my refractometer) and happened to, uh, have some of the hops included as part of the mash. Yeah, I had some issues that brew day.

I've got two beers in fermenters right now:

The first is an IPA (which I still need to dry hop!) which was intended to have an SG of 1.078 but is between 1.075 (if you trust my refractometer) and 1.093 (if you trust my digital hydrometer). It also happened to end up with 50% on my floor during the boil -- but I promise, that bit didn't end up back in the fermenter. ;)

The second is a porter that was intended to have an SG of 1.051 but is between 1.069 (if you trust my digital hydrometer) and 1.082 (if you trust my refractometer) and happened to, uh, have some of the hops included as part of the mash. Yeah, I had some issues that brew day.

This sounds like you need a third measurement. Those are some crazy differences in readings. What do they read in distilled water?

Anyways, love porters. Those always peak my interest. I have a Porter fermenting right now to offer up. Need to bottle up my saison to clear some keg room.

This sounds like you need a third measurement. Those are some crazy differences in readings. What do they read in distilled water?

Anyways, love porters. Those always peak my interest. I have a Porter fermenting right now to offer up. Need to bottle up my saison to clear some keg room.

Excellent question. I picked up a gallon of distilled water to test with this afternoon, and I'm going to try to go through and test/recalibrate this weekend. Won't help for the last two batches, but hopefully will for the next two!

I'm betting the Refractometer wins.

For the IPA, I agree. For the porter, I'm actually guessing they're both horribly off. Not sure how my efficiency was so high given I crushed very rough.

Sometimes I like to take a reading a few times with my refractometer to see how consistent it is. Did you test with distilled yet?

I'm betting they both come in at 0 to further mystify you.

First to three votes will be the winner.. and it's plain FF not 7Cs. Which I think would be killer in a nugget next knock off especially since I have 12 pounds of C60.

Just bottled one of my homebrew variations! Should be settled in time :)

20170727_120841.jpg

Just need to see how I will make the purée. I have both an instant pot and a ninja blender. I've read though that oxidation can occur from the high speed blender.

Should I consider juice instead?

Whatever it is, I definitely want as much in there as possible instead of just doing secondary on the fruit so that I can decrease the abv a little. It's a little hot right now.

Advice:

Maybe I should quantify a bit. How about sending one's worst beer if one didn't know what went wrong??

Just have to say DRUNK...ahhh, we get it! ☺

Just need to see how I will make the purée. I have both an instant pot and a ninja blender. I've read though that oxidation can occur from the high speed blender.

Should I consider juice instead?

Whatever it is, I definitely want as much in there as possible instead of just doing secondary on the fruit so that I can decrease the abv a little. It's a little hot right now.

I've added straight up pineapple juice with no issues. Takes more then one might think. Added 1 big can to 4 gallons of a tequila, jalapeno, and vanilla hard limeade. We could barely taste the pinapple.

How's that one? I had a split batch that went bad on one half. The first went too quick. Not sure if it were the dry hops in the second half though. I used a different one in each batch.

@jimyson
Aroma wise, perfect! First half, no complaints... then something off, but still palpable. Can't explain other than some off flavor, but from the start, no complaints. Still finished it :)

And here's a glimpse at said offer ... figured I should try some beer I ship them out to you guys, lol. Here a raspberry mint wheat (raspberries and mint grown on site). Light, refreshing!

20170731_151731.jpg

And here's a glimpse at said offer ... figured I should try some beer I ship them out to you guys, lol. Here a raspberry mint wheat (raspberries and mint grown on site). Light, refreshing!

You sir are why I put this together!!! Excellent selection that NO ONE ELSE can see! :)

Back