Fell asleep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I woke up really early... Had a couple homebrews whilst getting ready to Brew.. Started my 3 gallons boiling and added hops and LME.. went to watch TV after the hot break.. with the brew at a nice rolling boil waiting for the next hop drop..... So fast forward 4 hours... the Wife shut off the boil about an hour earlier there was a gallon of wort left.... I topped it off to 3 gallons started it boiling again and treated it as if it was 30 min point. Added hops, then added DME at 15 min and aroma hop at 5........

I'm thinking the excessive boil will result in a much darker than planned brew (based on the carmelizing LME) It will have higher than expected IBU since the nugget hops boiled for about 3 hrs....
Will the Carmelizing offset the extra bitterness?

What do you guys think will be the effect on the final product? I am a hop head so bitter is not a big deal.

I think you've got it: darker, a little sweeter, 10-15% higher IBU. May need some dry hopping.

It was supposed to be a ESB.. only used 11oz of grain to make the tea

8oz Crystal 60L
2oz Belgian aromatic
1oz British chocolate (for color)

3.3lbs LME light (3 hrs)
3lbs DME light (15 min)
1oz Nugget (3 hrs)
.5oz Challenger (30min)
.5 Willamette (Aroma)

that sounds like something I'd do... especially when I have late night brew sessions.... hope it turns out...!!!!!

Jester

Hell... I think it's pretty cool. think of it as an experiment.

Racked this to the secondary yesterday.. It has a bit more Caramel flavor (hmm wonder why :D ) than planned. It tasted OK the caramel flavor is balanced, but it isn't as bitter as what I was after.. Thinking of Dry hopping it.. The color is really dark it looks Black in the Carboy and was really dark brown in the siphon tube.. This will be an interesting brew.

To me, it seems that if you're not getting a burnt flavor from it, you're probably OK. It might not be exactly what you were after, but it should at least be something drinkable.

Drank the first one tonight.. it is a brown and it is really really bitter.. I kinda like it.. But then I'm a hop head. I was suprised it got more bitter with age.

Back