Feedback Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I need some feedback on my BIAB process. I did my first and only one 10 days ago using this method and I plan to do another this weekend. It was an American IPA.

I put 10lbs of 2 row + 1 lbs of specialty grains in a 9 gallon pot. I added enough water to get it up to about the 7.5 gallon mark on my pot. Of course the actual volume of water was less than that because of the grains.

I brought the temperature up to 158 and removed it from the heat for 1.5 hours. The temp dropped to 151 during that time. My og: was 1068 after the boil.

I know most people ads their grains after they heat their water, but I had mine in there from the start.What differences will there be in my beer considering my method? Any problems or limitations with how I've done it? Should I do my stout this way or change my process?

Obviously, I'll have a better idea of my outcomes when I can taste the final product. Id like some feedback before I do another one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you should definitely heat the water first next time. unless you have something underneath the grain sack, its a serious risk of scorching the grain and/or bag. the differences depend on how long it took you to get up to temp

I used a lid from a pot as a false bottom. Took about 1/2h to get up to temp. I was doing it in my garage with the door open an it was just above freezing.

What's the advantage of heating first?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I believe you should heat your water first also, you can calculate how much temp drop when your grain bag is added and hit your mash temp pretty close.... However other than keeping your grains from scorching I'm not sure of a dissadvantage/advantage of heating it all at once...

Back