Feedback on simple hydromel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleinMN

Reaction score
Hi, new meadmaker here. I have a traditional, a cyser and a BOMM in progress or aging currently but I wanted to make a hydromel I could drink later this summer which would be simple, relatively inexpensive and drinkable relatively quickly. Not sure what to expect but here is my plan so far for a 6 gallon batch:

10lbs Wildflower honey

Water to 6 gallons

3.5 or 4 grams powdered wine tannin

1 oz Fermax yeast nutrient added up front (thats what I have now, planning on buying some Fermaid K and Fermaid O in the future)

SO-4 Ale yeast. Fermenting cold at 61F

Clear with Sparkloid and bottle condition with 7oz dextrose.

Some type of acid addition after primary?

Backsweeten with 15oz erythritol?

So my question is; will this be good dry or is backsweetening likely a requirement to avoid a watery /flavorless taste? I want something simple and relatively cheap to make but I also want to know I'm tasting honey. I like dry ciders but I'm new to mead and have read that adding at least some sweetness really brings the honey flavor forward. I'm bottle conditioning so erythritol seems to be the best option from what I've read although it is kind of spendy. Thoughts?

Acid: would this recipe benefit from some type of acid addition or should it be good as is?

Acid (A blend of Citric, Malic and Tartaric) and your tannens will certainly help round out the flavor. (Acid to taste after secondary)

I would let it bulk age for a bit beffore adding the sweetener. Age does wonders for bringing the honey forward. You can always add sweetener later but obviously never can remove it once added.

Watch the amount of erythritol you use as some folks say it adds some chemical like flavors if used too heavily. And I have found its real easy to add too much acid. Consider disolving a couple tsp in a cup of must and add it a little at a time. Depending upon where the pH of my mead was before adding the acid I have rarely used more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the mix or 1/2 to 1 tsp of acid for a 5 - 6 gallon batch.

Good luck - Let us know how it comes out.

So I have recently made and bottled two hydromels. They were the same recipe, just two different yeasts were used.

I did a pound of honey and water to 1 gallon. I didn’t add any acid or tannin as I was really trying to notice the different yeast expressions. They are both carbonated and not back sweetened. I prefer my meads and ciders dry. I do think maybe a tannin and acid addition might have been beneficial, but again I was trying to compare yeasts and I definitely got the point across there.

Acid (A blend of Citric, Malic and Tartaric) and your tannens will certainly help round out the flavor. (Acid to taste after secondary)

I would let it bulk age for a bit beffore adding the sweetener. Age does wonders for bringing the honey forward. You can always add sweetener later but obviously never can remove it once added.

Watch the amount of erythritol you use as some folks say it adds some chemical like flavors if used too heavily. And I have found its real easy to add too much acid. Consider disolving a couple tsp in a cup of must and add it a little at a time. Depending upon where the pH of my mead was before adding the acid I have rarely used more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the mix or 1/2 to 1 tsp of acid for a 5 - 6 gallon batch.

Good luck - Let us know how it comes out.

Thanks for the advice. When you talk about age can I expect something at it's peak in a couple months after primary or are we talking 6+ months before bottling? I'm just curious on what to expect with a mead in the 7-9% abv range vs a 12-14% mead that might have off flavors when young.

I'll keep in mind what you're saying about the acids and sweeteners. I've never used either before so this is my first attempt.

So I have recently made and bottled two hydromels. They were the same recipe, just two different yeasts were used.

I did a pound of honey and water to 1 gallon. I didn’t add any acid or tannin as I was really trying to notice the different yeast expressions. They are both carbonated and not back sweetened. I prefer my meads and ciders dry. I do think maybe a tannin and acid addition might have been beneficial, but again I was trying to compare yeasts and I definitely got the point across there.

What yeast did you settle on?

2 to 3 months age on a 7 to 9% ABV mead if you kept the yeast happy during your ferment can get significantly better in that amount of time. I wouldnt say it would be at its peak but could be pretty dang good.

What yeast did you settle on?

I used 71b and D47. I much prefer the batch made with D47. It has a bit more body and I get more honey on the nose and palate. 71b is not necessarily bad, but side by side with d47 it is definitely not as good to my tastes.

Back