Feedback on my smoked robust porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I'd try my had at brewing a smoked porter and wondering if you guys can offer pointers. I usually like to stick with just a few ingredients, but I'm breaking that rule this time as I'd like a complex malty brew with a hint of smokiness. I want present but not overpowering roast character, moderate sweetness with a malty base (sorta like you get from extended boil), plus a light smoke background character. I understand from researching I can go a bit heavier with the lightly-peated malt vs the standard stuff (could be wrong). Anyway, appreciate your thoughts/recommendations on what I have so far.

SMOKED PORTER 5.5% ABV
77.5% MO
7% C70
5% Chocolate (regular and pale mixed 50:50)
1.2% Black patent
4.7% Melanoidin
4.7% Lightly peated malt (Bairds)
Warrior @ 60 to 18 IBU
US hop TBD @ 15 for approx 28 total IBUs
US-05

Hey guys,

I thought I'd try my had at brewing a smoked porter and wondering if you guys can offer pointers. I usually like to stick with just a few ingredients, but I'm breaking that rule this time as I'd like a complex malty brew with a hint of smokiness. I want present but not overpowering roast character, moderate sweetness with a malty base (sorta like you get from extended boil), plus a light smoke background character. I understand from researching I can go a bit heavier with the lightly-peated malt vs the standard stuff (could be wrong). Anyway, appreciate your thoughts/recommendations on what I have so far.

SMOKED PORTER 5.5% ABV
77.5% MO
7% C70
5% Chocolate (regular and pale mixed 50:50)
1.2% Black patent
4.7% Melanoidin
4.7% Lightly peated malt (Bairds)
Warrior @ 60 to 18 IBU
US hop TBD @ 15 for approx 28 total IBUs
US-05

That seems like rather a lot of specialty malts to me. I'd consider reducing the crystal to 5%, melanoidin & peated malt to 2.5% each.

Thanks eddiewould. I'm shooting for a flavorful porter so just wondering if I'd notice the specialty malts in lower percentages.

be careful with smoked malt I have read how a little goes along way

Yeah, I've heard the same so it has me questioning how much to use. Others claim the lightly-peated variety is very subtle though and a lot can be used before it's even noticed. Hoping somebody that's used it can confirm one way or the other. As for the melanoidin, I used 5% in a malty amber recently but at bottling time I really didn't notice it.

Yes on limiting the peated malt! It's not going to do what you want it/expect it to do; it will give a seaweed-like flavor vs. big smoky flavor. I would look at cherrywood-smoked malt instead, but that's just me.

Back