Feedback on ESB (English Pale Ale) recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi fellow HBTers. I am quite new to beer recipe design and have only designed one beer thus far, a robust porter, with the help of this forum. I am trying to make my first ESB and I came up with a recipe based on the BJCP style guide lines and some articles i read online:

Batch volume: 6.0 L
O.G: 1.054
F.G: 1.016
SRM: 10 SRM
IBU: 37
ABV: 5.0%
IBU/O.G: 0.68

Malt:

Pale Malt 1.3 kg 91 % Mash
Crystal 60 120 g 8 % Mash
Black Malt 3 g 0.21 % Mash

Hops:
East Kent Golding Great Britain 17 g 60 min Boil Leaf (4.8%)
East Kent Golding Great Britain 10 g 15 min Boil Leaf (4.8%)
East Kent Golding Great Britain 10 g 0 min Boil Leaf (4.8%)

Yeast:
Safale S-04

Will this be too IPA'ish (because of the 0 min addition of EKG)? Or does the recipe look okay and easily drinkable?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Brew2Be

Assuming about 5.75 L batch size to get your OG from your grainbill, I get about 41 IBU (Tinseth). I have a number of examples to compare to as long as the IBU's are calculated consistently, and they were. I think that could be a good ESB and brew it as-is. The 15 min & 0 min additions are desirable in a ESB IMO.

Assuming about 5.75 L batch size to get your OG from your grainbill, I get about 41 IBU (Tinseth). I have a number of examples to compare to as long as the IBU's are calculated consistently, and they were. I think that could be a good ESB and brew it as-is. The 15 min & 0 min additions are desirable in a ESB IMO.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that my recipe looks sound. I forgot to put the batch size (which is 6.0 L) but I have edited the post now.

I'm drinking a best bitter with a flameout addition of goldings, and it's fantastic. Floral, not any kind of hops bomb.

I think your recipe looks like a great place to start, and I don't think you need to worry about overdoing it with the noble hop additions you're using. Noble hops tend to be much more tame than those classic northwest hops used in so many big American IPAs.

I would recommend using British pale malt (maris otter, pale ale malt, golden promise, etc) and British crystal (this one is even more important) to get the correct malt profile. The british crystal, IMO, helps provide some of the fruitiness to the beer in conjunction with the yeast.

Looks good to me. I'm assuming the black malt is just to add a bit of color, so it should be fine at that low amount. The hops look fine, 37IBU is about perfect.

Maris Otter is my go-to malt for ESB, but any British malt should suffice. I also like to use Fuggles and EKG if I have both handy. The Wyeast ESB yeast is a great choice if you want to go with a liquid, otherwise S-04 should be good.

Back