Feedback on Altbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU_Brewer

Reaction score
SWMBO is in love with Olde Mecklenburg's Copper, so I'm looking to make a Dusseldorf Altbier. This will be a partial mash, 60 minute boil:

4lbs Munich Malt
1lb Crystal 80 Malt
.25lb Melanoiden Malt
3lbs Pilsen DME
3 oz Spalt (4.5% AAU) 60 min
US-05

Ferment @60°F for 7-10 days, then cold condition for 2-4 weeks (depending on how impatient SWMBO gets).

That's it. Pretty simple and straightforward-looking recipe. Having never made this before, I'm not sure if the Munich and Pilsen will be "too" malty?

not sure if you can make an alt too malty... they're malty beers.
if you're really concerned you can omit the melanoiden.
I've never used anything darker than c-60/caramunich-III in an altbier but from what I remember about c-80 i bet it'll be fine.
I usually use a Perle/tettnang combo for that floral/perfume character but spalt is a nice spicy hop that should be great in this.
shoot for at least 35 IBU to balance out all that crystal & don't be afraid to make multiple late additions for layers of hop flavor. an alt is one of the very few German styles where a little hop character is acceptable.

not sure if you can make an alt too malty... they're malty beers.
if you're really concerned you can omit the melanoiden.
I've never used anything darker than c-60/caramunich-III in an altbier but from what I remember about c-80 i bet it'll be fine.
I usually use a Perle/tettnang combo for that floral/perfume character but spalt is a nice spicy hop that should be great in this.
shoot for at least 35 IBU to balance out all that crystal & don't be afraid to make multiple late additions for layers of hop flavor. an alt is one of the very few German styles where a little hop character is acceptable.

I second Perle/Tettnang....you should also try Strisslespalt anywhere between 10 min and flameout...results will amaze you

Less melanoiden and crystal but add a bit of carafa to compensate for the colour. They are sort of malty and bitter, but not too sweet. As above, a decent IBU and some hop flavour go hand in hand with alts. (To be fair, I often see them as a darker, German type of special bitter. Fairly similar bitterness with some malt backbone type thing.)

I agree on cutting back on the crystal. For hops I'd substitute some Hallertau Tradition for some of the Spalt for a Spalt/tradition blend-- you'll thank me! :mug:

Back