Feedback on AG Corsendonk Christmas recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspain3

Reaction score
This is an adaptation of a recipe I originally found from RADMAD and one I found on another forum. Both recipes were similar and I merely tweaked some of the ingredients in BeerSmith2 until I reached an OG of 1.079 and 22 IBUs, which I think is about right for this beer.

I brewed something similar last year using extract, but this year I want to brew it earlier so it has time to mellow before Christmas and do an AG version.

Here's what I'm thinking:

6 Gallons
ABV: 9.22%
OG: 1.079
FG: 1.009
IBUs: 22.0
Color: 35.5 SRM

12 lb - Belgian 2 Row (71.6%) 2.0 SRM
1.5 lb - Caramunich Malt (9.0%) 56 SRM
0.5 lb - Special Malt B (3.0%) 180 SRM
1.5 lb - Candi Sugar, Dark (9.0%) 275 SRM
1.25 lb - Corn Sugar (7.5%) 0 SRM

2 oz - Hallertauer @ 60 min
1 oz - Styrian @ 30 min
0.5 oz - Hallertauer @ 10 min

1 oz - Coriander seed @ 10 min
1 oz - Orange Peel, bitter @ 10 min

Wyeast Labs 3787 Trappist High Gravity

Mash @ 152 F for 60 mins

I'm worried that 1.009 might be to low for this beer. The real Corsendonk Xmas Ale is only 8.5% ABV. According to BeerSmith2, if I up the mash temp to 156, I get a FG of 1.012 and ABV of 8.8%.

I'm worried that 1.009 might be to low for this beer. The real Corsendonk Xmas Ale is only 8.5% ABV. According to BeerSmith2, if I up the mash temp to 156, I get a FG of 1.012 and ABV of 8.8%.

Remember that software is just a tool. I would place more emphasis on the real numbers you get when you brew.

Process is going to ultimately affect attenuation and I wouldn't place too heavy an emphasis on theoretical numbers. 3787 is a high attenuation yeast in the right conditions but that is all down to your process as to how high you can get it.

In addition, 156 deg F seems a bit high for this style of beer. I'd say mash as you have it listed and I have a feeling you wont attenuate as low as the recipe quoted states.

OK, thanks. I've only done one AG batch so far, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I'll stick to 152 and hope is doesn't attenuate down that far. Either way, it'll probably still taste great.

OK, thanks. I've only done one AG batch so far, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I'll stick to 152 and hope is doesn't attenuate down that far. Either way, it'll probably still taste great.

It should be fine. In fact, I would maybe lower your single infusion mash temp to try and make the wort more fermentable.

Let's run the math on the recipe you quoted:

OG=1.079 and FG=1.009. So -> ((79-9)/79)*100 = ~88% attenuation. I don't know about you but most people probably don't achieve that high an attenuation percentage unless they have a once, twice or thrice re pitched batch of super healthy yeast.

So if anything, I would lower the mash temp a little to make up for still getting your AG process in order and give yourself a margin of safety being a beginner. That's what I did on my recent first AG batch using the 3787 HG yeast and I got roughly 79% attenuation on my Belgian Dark Strong.

So, 3 months later, I'm finally getting around to brewing this recipe this weekend. Life just got in the way. I'll plan on mashing at 149/150 and we'll see how it turns out. I was hoping to start on it early so it would have time to age before Christmas, but I did one this time last year and it was still pretty good as a young beer.

It should be fine. In fact, I would maybe lower your single infusion mash temp to try and make the wort more fermentable.

Let's run the math on the recipe you quoted:

OG=1.079 and FG=1.009. So -> ((79-9)/79)*100 = ~88% attenuation. I don't know about you but most people probably don't achieve that high an attenuation percentage unless they have a once, twice or thrice re pitched batch of super healthy yeast.

So if anything, I would lower the mash temp a little to make up for still getting your AG process in order and give yourself a margin of safety being a beginner. That's what I did on my recent first AG batch using the 3787 HG yeast and I got roughly 79% attenuation on my Belgian Dark Strong.

So, I made a 1L starter from the smack pack pack but realized that I might need 100B more cells, so I pitched the decanted starter along with a fresh smack pack. Day 2 I had a blowout, not too bad as everything stayed on the lid. By day 6, I measured 1.007 for about a 92% attenuation (OG = 1.083). That seems crazy fast. I'll leave it for at least another week so the yeast can do their clean up work.

Back