Feedback on 1st recipe/ 1st IPA / 1st PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
this will be my 4th 5 gal batch but the 1st time i've tried my own recipe, 1st IPA and 1st attempt at partial mash

11.5% AA for the Amarillo is based off of what my LHBS has in stock currently

this will also be my first full boil but I don't have an immersion chiller yet but do plan on having lots of frozen water bottles on hand for the ice bath

i know a lot of recipes are subjective based on personal taste but I'd appreciate any feedback on any big flaws with this recipe :mug:

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10.67 %
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 64.00 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.33 %
6.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %

0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [11.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 945ml]

looks pretty solid to me. My only complaint would be a bigger charge of hops at KO and dry hop. I would double each. As you have it, I think it would make a nice balanced IPA but wouldnt have that hop "punch". Since you are a Santa Monica guy, Ill say your beer is more Racer 5, the extra hops at the end would make it more like Sculpin. Both great beers, just the difference between balanced and bright hop character.

Also, my recommendation is to do your PM around 148-150. Since you are dealing with extract, you want the grains to give you a nice fermentable wort since the extract wont be as fermentable. This will allow you a better fermentation and drier beer...leading to better drinkability.

If you ever want to talk homebrew, theres a certain beer bar in Santa Monica with a great burger. Stop in and say hi.

-Larry

looks pretty solid to me. My only complaint would be a bigger charge of hops at KO and dry hop. I would double each. As you have it, I think it would make a nice balanced IPA but wouldnt have that hop "punch". Since you are a Santa Monica guy, Ill say your beer is more Racer 5, the extra hops at the end would make it more like Sculpin. Both great beers, just the difference between balanced and bright hop character.

Also, my recommendation is to do your PM around 148-150. Since you are dealing with extract, you want the grains to give you a nice fermentable wort since the extract wont be as fermentable. This will allow you a better fermentation and drier beer...leading to better drinkability.

If you ever want to talk homebrew, theres a certain beer bar in Santa Monica with a great burger. Stop in and say hi.

-Larry

excellent reply, thank you very much - i appreciate the Racer5/Sculpin analogy, particularly since they are a couple of my favorite IPAs

i was going for a more balanced IPA this go around so may bump the flameout and dryhop levels a bit but will def keep the recommendation in mind for the next IPA I do

the PM temp suggestion is also very much appreciated

do you work at FO? been trying to make it over there this week actually

Back