Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbafat

Reaction score
My wife has asked for "something hoppy but not too bitter" for an upcoming party - so why not jump on the bandwagon and go for an NEIPA? Everyone else is doing it, right? Instead of just doing a clone of someone else's clone, here's my stab at it.

This is based on a 6 gallons into the fermenter and 5 into the keg.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Grain Bill
  • 85% Golden Promise
  • 7% Flaked Oats
  • 4% Crystal 80
  • 4% Carapils
60 minute single infusion mash @ 154

90 minute boil
  • 1oz Magnum @ 60
  • 0.5oz Citra, 0.5 El Dorado, 0.5 Mandarina Bavaria @ whirlpool (wort temp ~160)
  • 0.5oz Citra, 0.5 El Dorado, 0.5 Mandarina Bavaria @ whirlpool (wort temp ~120)
Imperial Yeast A38 ("Juicy") - wy1318 if I can't find that. Starter for 4-6 days. Pure O2 for about a minute before pitching.

Dry Hop (@ 5 days)
  • 2oz Mandarina Bavaria
  • 1oz Citra
  • 1oz El Dorado

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 34.1 IBUs
Est Color: 7.4 SRM

I just finished up a NEIPA, and I read a bunch of different things from the Mad Fermentationist and Ales of the Riverwards and they seem to settle on roughly 15-18% oats. So maybe just knock down your base a little and bump up the percentage of oats.

I don't think you need to boil for 90 minutes, you should be fine with 60.

Imperial yeasts are solid. I just used A24 Dry Hop and that sucker took off and it is just about finished 4 days after brewing.

From what I've read most of these guys say you should dry hop anywhere from 2-3 days after pitching, at high krausen. Biotransformation of the hop aroma really kicks in with some yeast washing over it.

But it looks like a very good beer.

they seem to settle on roughly 15-18% oats.

That's a lot of oats. Is that going to require a beta-glucanase rest? Any idea what that would do to head retention (which is why I added the carapils)?

I don't think you need to boil for 90 minutes, you should be fine with 60.

I'm sure you're right. I started doing 90 minute boils a few months ago when I was using more pilsner malts and 10g batches. In this case, since hop additions aren't a boil concern, I'd probably base it more on volume and gravity than on time.

dry hop anywhere from 2-3 days after pitching

Good point. I will adjust that to pitching at high krausen.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Oats are mainly used for mouthfeel, and I'm not 100% sure on a beta-glucanese rest. I just looked it up. I do a full volume BIAB with no sparge, but if you do sparge, you might have to do a beta-glucanese rest to prevent it from sticking.

Oats are mainly used for mouthfeel, and I'm not 100% sure on a beta-glucanese rest. I just looked it up. I do a full volume BIAB with no sparge, but if you do sparge, you might have to do a beta-glucanese rest to prevent it from sticking.

Mouthfeel is exactly what I had hoped for from them.

Since I don't have a HLT, I have been batch sparging. Looks like Palmer says in HTB that the rest is only needed when you hit 25% of the mash - I'll try bumping the oats for a bit more mouthfeel. Will probably sacrifice the carapils to do that.

Thanks again!

Perfect. Good luck with it. It looks like it will turn out great.

Just wanted to thank you again for the feedback. With it I modified the recipe (Beersmith) and after carbing, the feedback today was "Oh ... wow ... that's really good."

The color and mouthfeel are dead-on. The taste is great but I have some ideas to tweak it a little (don't we always?).

Thanks again!

MDx7LKV.jpg

Where did your IBUs come out? I brew a mostly NEIPAs and I usually shoot for 40-55 IBUs with an ABV around 6-6.5%. I gave up on a 60 minute addition completely and get all my IBUs from the last 10 minutes through FO additions with a really generous WP addition.

For a future batch, do one massive dry hop early. My active fermentation is slowing within 24 hours so I usually add them at around 20-24 hours and start ramping up temps then. Also, these stay really juicy with intoxicating aroma if you can keg at about day 7 or 8. For me that includes a 48 hour cold crash.

Also, I don't use a ton of flaked oats. I use about 7% flaked oats and 3.5% flaked wheat. The mouthfeel is great.

Here's an example:

DingoJuice.jpeg

Where did your IBUs come out?

Beersmith says 33.5 and I would guess that's about right - there is a mild bitterness (which I like) but not much.

I gave up on a 60 minute addition completely and get all my IBUs from the last 10 minutes through FO additions with a really generous WP addition.

How generous? During the WP, I did 1.5oz at 170 degrees, 1.5oz at 120 degrees and then 4 ounces at high krausen.

My active fermentation is slowing within 24 hours so I usually add them at around 20-24 hours and start ramping up temps then.

I saw the same thing - fermentation was super fast. Way faster than I expected. I added the dry hops at about 40 hours.

For a future batch, do one massive dry hop early. Also, these stay really juicy with intoxicating aroma if you can keg at about day 7 or 8. For me that includes a 48 hour cold crash.

I hit my gravity numbers after about 72 hours and let it run a little longer (to 1.0005). I cold crashed on day 6 and kegged day 8.

Here's an example:

Really nice looking. It has a beautiful milkshake color.

Beersmith says 33.5 and I would guess that's about right - there is a mild bitterness (which I like) but not much.

How generous? During the WP, I did 1.5oz at 170 degrees, 1.5oz at 120 degrees and then 4 ounces at high krausen.

Typical for me is 2-4 oz at 5 mins, 2-4 oz at FO and 3-4 WP at 170.

I hit my gravity numbers after about 72 hours and let it run a little longer (to 1.0005). I cold crashed on day 6 and kegged day 8.

Sounds good. I'll bet it's got great flavor and aroma. I love El Dorado and have been wanting to try the Mandarina Bavaria. My favorite hop combo to date is El Dorado, Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin. I was really sad to see that keg go. I'll be picking up many pounds of Nelson when it becomes available again. I'm seriously thinking of getting like 5-10 pounds.

Back