Feedback Needed on Adding Yeast at Bottling Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
Hello.
Thank you, in advance, for your responses.

I have a batch of Belgian with an OG of 1.104 and a FG of 1.004. It's been in the fermenter for six weeks.
I used two MJ-41s. I usually bottle after three weeks so this situation hasn't come up before.
I'm 50/50 on whether to add a packet of MJ-41 at bottling. I would re hydrate the yeast, added it to
my cooled/room temp priming solution (1 cup priming sugar and two cups water). Then I would place it in the bottom of the bottling
bucket and let the siphon swirl it and mix which is what I usually do, minus the yeast.

Question: Is six weeks (or seven weeks) short enough, time-wise, to skip adding yeast at bottling?
Question: Is the method of adding yeast that I propose a solid way to add yeast at bottling time?

I've bottled after 5 weeks without adding yeast and the beer carbonated fine. My guess is unless you cold crashed for an extended amount of time you're probably fine with no extra yeast

Back