Feed the fermentation when dry hopping in a carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I have three 5.5G carboys that are not quite filled up to the neck. And rarely pushing bubbles through the airlock. Should I boil up some DME to add when I dry-hop, to scrub the oxygen?

the hops just came in or I would have done earlier.

I know you like my fermentation chamber / bathtub brew.
image.jpg

And if I don’t have a spare tank of co2? I do keg, but tend to turn off co2 in between force carbing, because I can’t seem to keep away the leaks.

It won't take much co2 to purge . If thats not an option I would add the hops then put the bung back in quick .

And if I don’t have a spare tank of co2? I do keg, but tend to turn off co2 in between force carbing, because I can’t seem to keep away the leaks.
dry hop in the keg. then you can easily taste the level (with carbed beer) and remove them when you're happy.

that said, you can for sure add more fermentables, but the character of the dry hop should change a bit due to the biotransformation that actively fermenting yeast will give.

I was planning on hopping in the keg, but I have a free pound of wai (iti?) tai, so I was thinking of 2+2+2 ounce dry hop, 2+2+2 ounce dry hop, and 4 more in the keg?
How do you spray the co2 to purge? I generally use ball locks.

Back