Favorite Words

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

madscientist451

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite words, but I seldom use it because I don't want to sound like an stupid @ss....
as·i·nine
/ˈasəˌnīn/
Learn to pronounce

adjective

1. extremely stupid or foolish.
    "Lydia ignored his asinine remark"

Dland

Reaction score
I don't know about favorite, but of some interest, yeah:

Subterfuge, vs subtrafuge. Spell check only recognizes one of them,,but I do recall seeing both words listed in same old dictionary with slightly different but similar meanings...or did I dream that...? (pretty sure not, my dreams are usually weirder than that.)

NTBeer

Reaction score
Lollygagger.

However did we manage to win 8?
It's a miracle.

Last edited:

ehall

Reaction score
persnickety - this was in a book I used to read my daughter when she was really little. she would laugh uncontrollably every time!

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just TODAY finally learned how to make Word not do the grammar/spelling correction thing; a multitude of words that I use in my brewing notes trip the damned thing and it was driving me nuts. A few:

Sparge
Overpitching
Krausen
Runnings
Fermonster

Not to mention it took offense at my spacing following a period. I was always taught two spaces after a sentence ending in a period, one after an exclamation or question mark.

VApatriot

Reaction score
My wife taught me this one a long time ago, it has it's place but not very often: dearth.

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
Ís ok snœrs ok miðnótts boði landi frá komum
For some reason I really enjoy the word "exquisite" other favorites words are
Nefarious
Sollipsistic
Delinquent
And a compound word in my native language "horfittjävel", I can't translate it here since it would probably get me a severe warning. Let's just say saying it to someone is equating him to a damned [really bad word for the female anatomy] belonging to a lady of the night.
An interresting thing about languages of germanic and mixed slavic/germanic origins is the possibility to combine words in to new words of their own, makes for some really creative cursing...

dwhite60

Reaction score
I think the German word "kaput" is the most fitting word devised by human kind. Just the energy of it and the finality of it are descriptive enough to make its meaning pretty obvious.

Antidisestablishmentarianism -- ist.